Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Weather question Vogelsang in mid-July

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Weather question Vogelsang in mid-July

Postby Grt_Ape » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:03 pm

We reserved our wilderness permits for TM to Vogelsang 7/13-7/16. This will be my first time out backpacking, but I'm going with experienced friends.

I plan to watch the weather reports more regularly as our trip gets closer...but should we expect snow on the ground in mid-July?

Thanks,

Chris
Grt_Ape

Postby jpcal » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:03 am

The snow pack is at about normal for that area(64 in), so it just depends on when it will melt. I've been around that area a few years back towards the end of July and there was no snow. However, last year during the first week of August it did snow in the area.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

One issue besides weather

Postby bbmq » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:54 am

I have been there during the 4th of July break and there was only an occasional area of snow but mostly up a little bit in the hills. One thing that can be a factor, and which was a serious issue last year at the same time in the Sunrise area, is mosquitoes. There was a lot of late rain and snow last year in June and that gets things really boggy. A lot of people chose to wear full headwear netting and they probably had no issues. I went with strong bug repellent and I didn't get bit, but they were in my face any time I was passing through a meadow or any time I was near water. So be prepared with whatever option you choose.
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Grt_Ape » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info.

I'm really looking forward to this trip :D
Grt_Ape

Postby hiker97 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:25 pm

Yes, bring the strong bug repellent. I got so many mosquito bites during the 2nd week of July 2008 when a buddy and I were there. I clearly recall waking up in the morning and seeing a couple of hundred mosquitos all on the outside of our tent just waiting for us to emerge! But on the flip side, the meadows and streams were positively gorgeous. People could not believe how green and beautiful the area was from my photos upon my return. I guess now I have the amazing photos still with me, but the several dozen bites have long faded away.
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking