Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Help me improve my Yosemite Valley & Hetch Hetchy plan

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Help me improve my Yosemite Valley & Hetch Hetchy plan

Postby Eduardo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:43 pm

Here's my proposed route. I'm doing this with my 16 year old son. I'm open to suggestions for improvement.

Saturday April 3rd, Arrive to Yosemite Valley late in the afternoon, stay at Curry Village

Sunday April 4th plan: Day Hike to Snow Creek Falls, stay at Curry Village.

Monday April 5th: Vernall Fall in the morning, then drive to the Hetch Hetchy Entrance Station. Hike to Rancheria Falls, camp.

Tuesday April 6th: Hike back from Rancheria Falls to the Hetch Hetchy Entrance Station. Pack the car. Do the Lookout Point Trail. Then leave Yosemite.

Any thoughts/suggestions/words of wisdom?

Eduardo
Eduardo

Postby balzaccom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Day two sounds like a long day. Vernal Falls and back is 3-4 miles, depending on how you do it. It will take you well more than an hour to drive to Hetch-hetchy from the Valley, and you won't be able to leave directly from Happy Isles. So I doubt you will arrive at HH before about 1 pm. It's 6.5 miles to Rancheria...so figure another 3 hours plus to hike there.

It all sounds a bit hurried to me. Hike, hop in car, drive, hike some more.

You could easily do the Vernal Falls and Snow Creek trails on the same day--they are even in the same part of the Valley, only a mile apart. That would leave the next day for a leisurely drive to HH...and a more relaxed hike to Rancheria. If you have more time there, you can explore a bit a hike up to LeConte Pointe.

My two cents
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Eduardo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Yes, balzaccom. I see what you mean, and I don't like hurried myself. That's why I'm asking for advice.

Update:
Day 1, arrive to Yosemite Valley late in the afternoon, stay at Curry Village

Day 2, Hike to Vernal Fall and Snow Creek Falls, stay at Curry Village.

Day 3, Drive to the Hetch Hetchy Entrance Station. Hike to Rancheria Falls, camp.

Day 4, Hike back from Rancheria Falls to the Hetch Hetchy Entrance Station.

New question is: where would I fit a hike to Le Conte Point as you suggest? On Day 4 after coming back from Rancheria Falls?

Eduardo
Eduardo

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:38 pm

You don't do LeConte after you come back - it's the high point beyond Rancheria Falls. You would probably do it in the afternoon after arriving at Rancheria, or the morning before you leave the camp.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Eduardo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 pm

This makes lots of sense. Thank you!!

E.
Eduardo

Postby Wickett » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Are you going up the Snow Creek trail? I like going to Hidden Falls, which is not too far beyond the Snow Creek trail. You have an excellent view of Snow Creek Falls from there and you get to enjoy Hidden Falls and a great view down the canyon towards Half Dome. You could also check out the recent rockfall on the way back. Doing Hidden Falls and Vernal in one day should not be a problem.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Eduardo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Thank you Wickett. I'll definitely look into it.
Eduardo

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking