Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Clouds Rest/Half Dome

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Clouds Rest/Half Dome

Postby bbmq » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:54 pm

I'm doing a backpack trip in July from Sunset trailhead to Half Dome and back. I've done the hike before where I went through the Sunrise area and then down the JMT but never on the Forsyth or Cloud's Rest Trails.

What concerns me is that I'm taking my girlfriend and I'm not sure of how many miles per day she can do. Does anybody know of how many miles it is from the trailhead via Forsyth or CR to Sunrise Creek? I would like to do that in one day but am not sure if she is up to it depending on the mileage.

Are there decent places to camp before Sunrise Creek on either of the trails? If there are then getting a campsite the next morning and then leaving for Half Dome in the late morning would be a good option. Of course having water nearby is a major consideration as carrying our water supply would be a burden. Also, is CR a mich higher recommendation than Forsyth?

Then I'm considering returning on the Echo Creek Trail but have never been on it before. Does anyone know of this would be a worthwhile option? Also what are the camping options on this trail, with water still being a consideration?
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby sierranomad » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:01 am

Clouds Rest is by far the most scenic stretch between Sunrise Lakes and Half Dome. The last reliable water is between Sunrise Lakes and the junction with the trail to Clouds Rest. It is visible on the Trails Illustrated map.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

clouds rest half dome

Postby luke » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:36 pm

by sunset im gonna assume you mean sunrise lakes trailhead.yeah, like sierranomad said,over clouds rest is spectacular.from sunrise lakes TH over clouds rest to the JMT junction is about 10 and a half miles.there are campsites and water in this area. if your not sure someone can do it AND enjoy the trip you can camp halfway near water between the pond and the little creeklets(they were little when i was there in september)between the junction to sunrise lakes and forsyth-clouds rest junction.
luke
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking