Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First time visitor needs help/ideas!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First time visitor needs help/ideas!

Postby missL » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are from Germany and will be visiting Yosemite for the first time in the end of May. (26t- 29th so just before Memorial Day)
I'm trying to work out a route but I don't have a good map (yet!) and I've never been to Yosemite before, so it's a little difficult.

We both have quite a bit of experience hiking/backpacking over here in Europe and are in pretty good shape.
We will be arriving in Yosemite from San Francisco some time in the early afternoon and will be staying for 3 nights, and leaving in the next morning, so we have 2 full days for hiking plus the afternoon when we arrive.

We were thinking about hiking the Pohono trail and possibly combining it with the Panorama. Is this possible?
We're open to any other suggestions for our route.
We would prefer trails that are nor so full.
Since we haven't reserved any camp sites we are depending on the backpackers campgrounds you can use on the day before and after your back country hike.
If I have a permit can I use any of these campgrounds or do I have to use a specific one?

I would be VERY grateful for any and all help!!!
missL

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:23 pm

That early you may not have the ability to head up Tioga Road, which opens when it is clear of snow. Even if the road is open, there will still be significant snow on trails that high so take that into consideration when planning. There is no backpacker campground on Glacier Road so you would be staying in the Valley and finding your way to whichever trailhead you intended to start from. You will never be alone on the trails around the valley but the foot traffic tends to drop off the further you get from trailheads. The backpacker camp at Hetch Hetchy is too far away to be of any use to you unless you are going to hike those trails.

You can hike the Pohono/Panorama trails but it is very restricted in where you can stay the night. You can camp near Bridalveil Creek and in Little Yosemite Valley. Some folks go up Ilillouette Creek away from the trail to camp, off trail.

You might be able to do a north rim hike if you don't mind going up/down the steeper trails - you could head for the tops of El Capitan, North Dome and see the valley and Half Dome from there, also reducing the number of people on the trails with you. Might be easier to get permits from Big Oak Flat or Yosemite Falls trails than Glacier Point or Happy Isles.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: First time visitor needs help/ideas!

Postby Wickett » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:46 am

missL wrote:My boyfriend and I are from Germany and will be visiting Yosemite for the first time in the end of May. (26t- 29th so just before Memorial Day)

I will be going during that same time. I plan on playing trailhead roulette, just taking whatever they have. Maybe I will see you on the trail!

Do you have transportation arranged from San Francisco?
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby missL » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:16 pm

We were thinking about playing trailhead roulette too, but since it's our first and maybe only trip to Yosemite we decided on planning it out.

We have a rental car, so we'll be driving to Yosemite from San Francisco on Wednesday morning.

Do you know how a late permit pickup works. The Yosemite website says you have to pick up your permit by 10am on the day of your trip or you have to call to arrange a late pick up.
How well does this work out? Will they defiantly hold on to our permit if we call, or might they give it to someone else? When do I call the number for late arrivals? On the day of my trip or a few days earlier? I just really want to make sure that I get my permit.
missL

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:04 pm

If you think you can't make it before ten, just call and tell them you think you'll be late and they will hold it for you. They'll put a note in the computer.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:54 am

Maybe I will see you around, I will PM you my number just in case you have any questions when you get there.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: First time visitor needs help/ideas!

Postby cusitin » Sun May 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi

I am taking a similar trip to yours but in July. I am curious to find out how it went, since I am also traveling from San Francisco to Yosemite and staying there 3 days. I would love to hear from you after your trip for any tips and/or advice!

Thank you.

missL wrote:Hi!

My boyfriend and I are from Germany and will be visiting Yosemite for the first time in the end of May. (26t- 29th so just before Memorial Day)
I'm trying to work out a route but I don't have a good map (yet!) and I've never been to Yosemite before, so it's a little difficult.

We both have quite a bit of experience hiking/backpacking over here in Europe and are in pretty good shape.
We will be arriving in Yosemite from San Francisco some time in the early afternoon and will be staying for 3 nights, and leaving in the next morning, so we have 2 full days for hiking plus the afternoon when we arrive.

We were thinking about hiking the Pohono trail and possibly combining it with the Panorama. Is this possible?
We're open to any other suggestions for our route.
We would prefer trails that are nor so full.
Since we haven't reserved any camp sites we are depending on the backpackers campgrounds you can use on the day before and after your back country hike.
If I have a permit can I use any of these campgrounds or do I have to use a specific one?

I would be VERY grateful for any and all help!!!
cusitin

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking