Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Recommended hikes for the end of April/early May

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Recommended hikes for the end of April/early May

Postby kgalligano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:46 am

Hello,

My wife and I will be visiting Yosemite for 4 days during the end of April/beginning of May and are trying to plan which hikes we would like to complete. We are “moderate to strenuous” day hikers (up to 8 miles a day and 3,500 ft elevation gain) and will not have the correct gear to hike in icy conditions. Which hiking trails are recommended? Also, is it possible to get to Glacier Point via hiking/snow shoeing/cross country skiing Glacier Point Road during this time? I would hate to go to Yosemite and miss GP.

Thank you in advance!
kgalligano

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Glacier Point Road might not be open to cars. Badger is closing as of today 4/4 so I am guessing skiing won't be a possibility at the end of April. They'll be working on plowing the road. If the four mile trail is still closed as well as the JMT, you might be out of luck for visiting Glacier Point.

Keep checking the current conditions page at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm up until your trip so you can know what to expect.

I was up in the valley today - it was beautiful but overcast, the falls are flowing well, and as we were leaving it was starting to flurry down almost invisible snow flakes. I'm guessing there was snow falling at high elevation - we never did see Half Dome or Clouds Rest.

Chilnualna Falls would be a good hike for you - and another dayhike might be Alder Creek Falls, it'll be flowing high and the flowers will still be going up there. And Wapama Falls is a good early season dayhike, Rancheria Falls is a easy overnight.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby kgalligano » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Thank you for the informative response! You recommended some hikes we didn't think about; Chilnualna Falls looks like a hidden gem.

What do you think about the trails in the Valley in the Spring? From what I have read, Mist Trail and Yosemite Falls trails are the “must-hikes” in the area. Am I missing any? Hopefully Yosemite will have a warm April to take some of the snow off the trails.

Thank you again!
kgalligano

Postby balzaccom » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:48 pm

I like Snow Creek Falls out of the Valley...and don't forget Wapama Falls out of Hetch Hetchy as well
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:10 pm

Mist Trail is usually a great trip - for that and Wapama Falls, you may want to take a poncho to keep the spray off. Wapama will literally drench you to the skin - last May I had the breath knocked out of me and felt like it was going to knock me off the bridge, a sudden gush of heavy spray struck me and as I was wearing a backpack with 30 lbs in it I was pushed a little off balance. It's a real treat to do a backpack and come out to have the grunge showered off as you cross the bridges in front of the falls. Vernal will mist you more gently as you don't walk near the falls.

Yosemite Falls is good also but a lot of switchbacks and up. Chilnualna is a neat hike - all uphill for four miles, but great views and a nice falls.

Don't overlook the short stuff - Bridalveil, Mirror Lake, the lower Yosemite Falls. I've seen some neat wildlife just walking around the valley - a scarlet tanager, a golden eagle, coyotes, lots of deer. I've always wanted to rent a bike and just ride around the valley floor - in early spring before the traffic gets really congested.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:11 am

Great point, almosthere. Our best times in Yosemite Valley have been when we simply hiked out into the meadows and enjoyed the spectacular views. It's amazing how short a hike will take you away from everyone else...and into paradise.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby kgalligano » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks once again for the info. I have come to the conclusion that we will need to come back to Yosemite to see everything!! :D
kgalligano

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking