Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Can I combine Pohono and Panorama Trail?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Can I combine Pohono and Panorama Trail?

Postby missL » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:14 pm

Hello!

I'm a Yosemite Newbie and am trying to work out a route for our first trip in the end of May.

We are thinking about combining the Pohono and Panorama Trails, and possibly hiking Half Dome (if we have enougn time)
Is this possible? We would like to start out at the Pohona (Wawona Tunnel) trailhead, hike up to Glacier Point and then hike the Panorama Trail back to the valley. Can this be done?

1. Which permit do I need. I guess the entry trailhead would be Pohono/Wawona tunnel, what would be our exit trailhead? I need to name our first night's camp location, where could/should we camp, or what should I write down?

2. Lots of trailheads (th) are already unavailable, do I need available th for the entire planned route or just for the entry th, (i.e. is it enough if Pohono/Wawona Tunnel is available or do I also need availability on the GP to LYV? Sorry for these probably stupid questions, but I'm absolutely unfamiliar with this permit thing.

3. Where would we be allowed to camp? I keep on reading that camping is not allowed on the Panorama Trail. Could I camp on the Pohono Trail and then again in LYV or do I need a special/extra permit for this.

I would really appreciate any help or tips.

Lydia
missL

Postby sierranomad » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi Lydia:

Yes, you can hike the Pohono Trail to Glacier Point, and then take the Panorama Trail back to the Valley.

The end of May could be a little "iffy". Last year, in Mid may there was still considerable snow around Taft Point and Sentinel Dome (and I surmise, other places along the Pohono Trail). You mention that you may want to include Half Dome. The cables to HD usually don't go up until on or after Memorial Day.

If possible, I'd suggest waiting until early to mid June. A week can make a huge difference that time of year.

Your exit trailhead would be Happy Isles. As far as where to say that you plan on camping the first night, just pick a place on the Pohono Trail before you pass the trail to McGurk Meadow.

I thought that you could camp on a small stretch of the Panorama Trail, but looking at my Trails Illustrated map, it looks like you can't. If so, your second night will have to be in LYV. That would make for 13 or 14 mile day.

I hope this helps.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave Miller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:07 pm

I hiked the Pohono Trail last Memorial Day Weekend and there were still large patches of snow, but it wasn't too bad. I think this year there will be more snow though.

There is a way to break up the Panorama Trail into two days. You can camp in Illilouette basin which is about 4 miles past Glacier Point and then pickup the Panorama trial the next day head down the the valley. I did this two years ago in early June and the conditions were perfect.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby sierranomad » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:22 am

Regarding your question #2. No you don't additional permits for th's you encounter in the middle of your trip.

You're going to have a great time Lydia! :D
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking