Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite in 2010?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite in 2010?

Postby balzaccom » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:11 am

Does anyone have trips planned for this summer? We've just spent a few days with our maps and books, thinking about how much time we have.

It's a great way to spend a few hours with your wife!

If all goes ccording to plan, we'll be doing two trips in and near Yosemite this year:

A hike from Kennedy Meadows of Highway 108 down through Emigrant Wilderness and then into Yosemite, down Jack Main Canyon, and out at the Hetch-Hetchy trailhead. We'll take about six days to do that, and are really looking forward to it.

The other one will also start in Emigrant Wilderness, but we may never make it into Yosemite. We'll head for the Wire lakes, then would our way south, probably leaving by Crabtree Cabin. But we're looking at that section below Woods Lake, Karls Lake, etc....

Anybody been there?

Anybody got some adventures planned?
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Summer Fishing Loop through Sierra

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:41 am

Yes

Got my trail head pass and am busy refining my fishing kit--plan to take both fly and light spin rigs.

Day 1 Depart Tenaya Lake to Sunrise Lake area
Day 2 Fish Sunrise Lakes
Day 3 Hike to Washburn Lake
Day 4 Fish Washburn and Merced River (also 50th B-day)
Day 5 Hike to Bernice
Day 6 Fish Bernice
Day 7 Hike to Volgelsang
Day 8 Fish Townsley and Hanging Basket
Day 9 Hike out via Lyell Canyon fishing as I go.
/r
SteveH
SteveH
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:03 am

Besides my backpacking trips whenever I can squeeze them in, I play trailhead roulette i.e. take whatever they have when I show up, I have two week long trips planned for the valley.

April is a leisurely family outing, the only thing on my agenda is the alcove swing on El Cap.

September is the boys trip. A Tenaya Canyon Run, Climb Half Dome via Snake Dyke, rappel Yosemite Falls (as long as the 600M rope deal goes through), and give some on the new guys a chance to do the Alcove swing on El Cap. Should be a fun time. I just need to book the campsite next week!
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grt_Ape » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:07 pm

We'll be in the valley May 24-27 with a bunch of 8th graders...

In Upper Pines in mid-June for 3 nights, with plans to do the Upper Yosemite Falls trail.

And spending four days in mid-July backpacking to & around Vogelsang from TM.

Who knows how many day trips with the family...would love to picnic with the kids to lake Elizabeth.
Grt_Ape

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Our Fresno/Madera based hiking group does dayhikes up there all year - did Hite Cove, will be doing Chilnualna Falls, and as the roads open we'll head up to Clouds Rest and North Dome. I am never organizing another open group hike to Half Dome again but may go with a handpicked group of friends. We like to night hike that one.

Going to do some overnight stuff, but am thinking of doing the High Sierra Trail (or part of it) in addition to a segment of the JMT (TM or Agnew to Duck Lake, perhaps, tho we haven't made up our minds). Our annual Ostrander backpack is already booked solid. We hope to get to Chain Lakes and possibly Red Peak Pass this year as well.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:39 am

I make a list every year. Will end up going anywhere but this is
my bucket list for the year. Wifey and I'd be up there now but
90% chance o gunk Sun and Mon pushed it to Wed-Sat nxt wk.
I like to see everything in all the seasons too.

Probably end up doing about half of these this year.
(some of these not Yose.)

- Thompson Canyon
- Boating Benson (Ranch Mtn/Saddle Horse xc2 Benson/Boat 2 Beach)
- Edna / Adair -> Grey
- Harriet
- Dorothy Pass->Forsyth->Otter->Penn Lakes, etc. (via 108)
- Clark Summit
- Lyell Summit
- Regulation / Pettit / East Peaks Summit
- Reymann
- HSR Copper->Marion->Split Mtn and back
- Tehipite Dome
- Shpinx Lakes
- Sawtooth / Columbine / 5 Lakes / Black Rock / xc up
- Charlotte Dome
- Hell for Sure->Ionian
- Falls Ridge
- Nance Peak
- Inferno Lakes
- Many Island (only been once)
- Kolana Rock
- Edith and the fall EARLY
- Indian Canyon
- Branigan EARLY
- Matthes w/ NO MOSQUITOS

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby adrianhoff » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:28 pm

I do Yosemite every year. This year starts 8/27: JMT from Tuolumne into Lyell Canyon; Loop back past Vogelsang HS Camp, down Lewis Creek Trail to what I think is called the High Trail; It'll take me past the Isberg trail intersection en route to Red Peak Pass trail. I'll have time to explore Lower Ottoway Lake and the Illilouette drainage before exiting 10/6 via Glacier Point or Happy Isle, depending on where I leave the car.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby MumbleyJoe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 pm

I made a weekend trip about a month ago, but I have two more substantial trips planned this summer.

In June I'm doing an annual photo-trip with some friends who have never been to Yosemite before - I'm thrilled to be able to introduce them (we've previously shot in the southwest Utah/Arizona area together).

In July I'm coming back for another week with my wife with more focus on hiking. I'm too big of a Yosemite fan to have never hiked Half Dome, so I'm hoping to cross that off my list. We've got a couple nights of backpacking planned to the Young Lakes area as well which I'm particularly looking forward to.

So 3 trips in 2010 so far - it sucks living 800 miles away.
MumbleyJoe

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking