Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

scrambling

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

scrambling

Postby luke » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:28 pm

planning second trip to park for mid to late september.one of the routes were considering is twin lakes-mule pass-burro pass-benson pass -seavey pass-buckeye pass back to twin lakes.planning on 10-12 days.does anyone out there know if there are any non-technical routes up matterhorn peak and or whorl mountain from this trail.we like to set up a basecamp for acouple of days to play on the rocks with daypacks.any routes on this trail in the burro pass-matterhorn canyon area?any other comments on this route would be appreciated.another route were considering is tioga rd-glen aulin-pct up cold canyon-smedberg lake -rodgers canyon to pate valley-grand canyon of the tuolumne back to glen aulin.again any comments on either of these routes would be appreciated.thanks.
luke
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:35 am

You can't go wrong with either. Though I doubt you'll go over Buckeye.

You don't really need a book for Matterhorn. From Burro just work your
way up. I followed the ridge from Burro all the way up and then
came down the scree. I guess the easy way is up the scree.
I had no other knowledge at that time other than I wanted to go up it,
so I'd imagine you'll be able to just go for it too.
Crown Pt. is a simple walk up from Snow Lake.
Slide Mtn. was a nice scramble up from the tarn near Mule Pass.

Haven't been up Finger. From Secor the summit block is easy class 4.

Most peaks in Yosemite are class 2-3. So easily accessible IMO.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

scrambling

Postby luke » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:51 am

oops.. yeah i meant peeler lake back to twin lakes. youre probably gonna laugh at this question,but how crazy would it be to go along the ridge from matterhorn to whorl?
luke
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Ridge to Whorl from Matterhorn... hmm... yeah...
definite knive edge there... When you get atop Matterhorn
and look south you'll probably say 'uh... this is good'.
If you wanna see some of that then look on Google Earth for
Virginia Peak. That photo doesn't show Whorl Mtn. proper even.
Anyway, give Matterhorn a try.
I got some pix from Matt. Pk. but you should go see for yourself.
Beautiful.
The thing you really really really shouldn't miss is checking out
THE SLIDE. Just incredible.
Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

slide canyon

Postby luke » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:47 pm

thanks.maybe well spend a night down the creek in slide canyon.i checked out the story on the slide after your last post.it definitely sounds cool.damn,i wish i lived within a day or twos drive of the sierra nevadas!
luke
Regular
Regular

Postby orion » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:07 pm

finger peaks is a fun hike up the snow fields on the north side. it gets a little tricky at the top, you up and around to the south side. it's a good spot to view the slide, which doesn't really offer much up close other than a pile of big recent talus. might not be as much snow left in september though, so may be a harder ascent.

you can hike directly up the matterhorn from twin lakes via horse creek canyon. from the pass into spiller it is a straightforward slog up an almost sandlike gravel. two steps forward for every step slid back, short sprints from rock to rock to catch your breath. if you want, read Jack Kerouac's Dharma Bums to get an extended description of this hike from a beatnick back in the day.

the pass into matterhorn canyon is nearly at the top of the matterhorn, so if the weather is decent you can even consider camping the peak. probably too cold and variable for that in september. not too hard back down into the matterhorn, pick one of many ways.

i think you can hike to whorl from the spiller canyon side, but i'm not positive. it's definately all cliffed out on the matterhorn side.

the best place to camp up there is the set of tarns at the north base of finger peaks, with a dramatic sunset view of the matterhorn and sawtooth ridge. one of the best spots in all of yosemite, especially beautiful when the september clouds roll in.

have fun! maybe i'll see you around.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking