Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

scrambling part 2

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

scrambling part 2

Postby luke » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:33 am

does anyone know of any guidebooks with off trail routes?if any one has plans for a trip to rocky mountain np there is a great guidebook by lisa foster called rocky mountain national park the complete hiking guide.not only does it contain detailed maps and descriptions of established routes,it also shows(on the same maps)and describes in minute detail off-trail routes up peaks.she employs the yosemite decimal system to rate these off-trail climbs or scrambles.its great for guys like me who arent technical climbers and only have a limited amount of time in a park.i dont have to spend all day searching for a route up a peak only to find that there isnt one.does anybody know of a book like this for yosemite?
luke
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:26 am

High Sierra Peak, Passes, and Trails - RJ Secor

Great book.

It doesn't cover all Peaks in Yosemite but a bunch of them.

For me the fun is in looking at very old Yosemite Maps and
hiking now defunct "trails", looking at topo maps and planning
xcountry routes, or just getting out there and hiking places
on the fly with a topo map.
A lot of xcountry in the Sierra is not that difficult IMO.
The old "trail" from Poopenaut north... that one was a bitch.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

scrambling part2

Postby luke » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:10 am

thanks for info.last year was first time in yosemite.you and dan gave us solid advice on campsites,water availibility,etc..this is a great forum.
luke
Regular
Regular

book

Postby luke » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:36 pm

thanks.found it for 22 bucks on amazon.gonna place my order
luke
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking