Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Visiting Yosemite this weekend

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Visiting Yosemite this weekend

Postby dineshk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi all,
I am planning a 2 day trip to Yosemite this weekend (17-18 April) with some friends from out of town. We are thinking of doing Upper Yosemite falls trail and the mist trail (ideally all the way to the top of Nevada falls). Does anyone know what the trail conditions are now? The nps website says mist trail is closed from the Vernal falls footbridge to the top but the top of Vernal falls is still accessible (through JMT?). It has nothing to say about Upper Yosemite falls trail. Am I likely to run into a lot of snow in either/both trails? Will the trail conditions be hazardous and need some snow equipment? Are there any other (5-6 hour long) trails that are better to do this time of the year? I have done both these hikes but in May when there was no snow to worry about. Thanks for any input.
dineshk

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:01 pm

If you look at a map you will see that there is a section of trail connecting to the Mist Trail above Vernal Falls from the JMT. You will head up the Mist Trail from Happy Isles, turn up hill on the JMT to the junction of this connecting trail, and continue down the connecting trail to rejoin the Mist. The JMT between that area and the top of Nevada Falls is closed, as are the steep, wet, probably icy steps of the Mist Trail below the top of Vernal. You can continue to the top of Nevada Falls from there, if you wish, and come back out the same way.

Yosemite Falls is usually clear due to the sun exposure it gets and is a good early season hike - there may be patchy snow on top but the trail itself should be okay.

Chilnualna Falls out of Wawona is a good hike for early season as well - not as breathtaking as Yosemite Falls but one of those you want to do before summer. You can also head to Alder Creek Falls, which can be made shorter by leaving from a pullout on the road between Wawona and Glacier Point Road turnoff. If you want another good view hike, head up the hill from Wawona Tunnel to Inspiration Point, and up from there to Crocker and Dewey Points. Again, probably some snow, hopefully not enough to obscure trail for very long... if Glacier Point Road is open you can drive up and hike to Dewey from the McGurk Meadow trailhead and not have to climb out of the valley to get there.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dineshk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks for the suggestions. We ended up spending just a day at the park and went up the Mist trail. The falls were flowing nicely and my friends had a blast. Thanks again.
dineshk

Postby b_allen » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:11 am

dineshk wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. We ended up spending just a day at the park and went up the Mist trail. The falls were flowing nicely and my friends had a blast. Thanks again.

so the staircase was open? Or do you mean you took the JMT after the foot bridge, then cut back to the Mist Trail?
b_allen

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:46 am

Technically it wasn't open but everyone was going up the Mist from
Register Rock to the top of Vernal.
The trail was free and clear. Since it was so warm all the snow
and ice which was present earlier in the week was completely
gone.
It was completely iced up on Wednesday with about 6 inches of snow.
By Saturday ... free and clear...
If the storm flying thru doesn't drop snow on it and the temp stays up
they will probably open the gate very soon.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dineshk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:37 pm

I am afraid we ignored the signs as well and went up the staircase. It was perfectly fine. We didn't want to go back down the staircase and instead came back down JMT. The JMT was open but had snow in some shaded parts.
dineshk

Postby Wickett » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 am

I am glad you made it all right. I will be up there this weekend. I don't think I will take the kids all the way to the top of Nevada this time of year but we will hit Vernal for sure.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby b_allen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Wickett wrote:I am glad you made it all right. I will be up there this weekend. I don't think I will take the kids all the way to the top of Nevada this time of year but we will hit Vernal for sure.

Will be hitting Vernal on Friday. We'll see how it looks with this storm that just rolled in.
b_allen

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:56 am

Looks like it will really warm up on Fri and be gorgeous on weekend.
I'd bring spikies if I HAD to go up the 'closed' Mist trail to Vernal.
Last week when it was iced that's how we got up it. A few other
people quickly turned around once they hit the ice and snow.
Be Safe and Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:25 am

bill-e-g wrote:Looks like it will really warm up on Fri and be gorgeous on weekend.
I'd bring spikies if I HAD to go up the 'closed' Mist trail to Vernal.
Last week when it was iced that's how we got up it. A few other
people quickly turned around once they hit the ice and snow.
Be Safe and Have fun

Glad you mentioned that, I will run upstairs and grab my spikes right now lest I forget!
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking