Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Panorama trail in mid may?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Panorama trail in mid may?

Postby babeloba » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Me and a friend are doing a California roadtrip in may (we are from Sweden (Europe)). And during that trip we both would like to visit Yosemite, and i think the panorama trail would suit us well. My only concern is whether that trail is opened in mid may. I know it can be difficult to predict but does anyone have any predictions based on the weather and snow conditions in Yosemite now?

If it is closed at that time does anyone have any suggestions for a different hike more suitable for mid may?

Thanks
Frans
babeloba
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Keep an eye on the wilderness conditions page http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm.

If Glacier Point Road is not open, you will have trouble with this - unless you are planning to do the hike as a round trip from Happy Isles (this would be around 16 miles or so, mostly uphill going out) in a day, you will have to rely on a tour bus to take you to Glacier Point to start the hike back down to the valley where your car is.

Technically you cannot camp along this trail but people do hike up Ilillouette Creek to camp far enough from the trailhead.

The Mist Trail itself will probably be open all the way through; you can get up above Vernal Falls right now by way of a detour that will reconnect you to the Mist Trail between Vernal and Nevada Falls. Half Dome cables may or may not be up by then. The Yosemite Falls trail would be best done in spring, some people with vertigo find it a difficult one but some good views. You can also hike up the trail from Wawona Tunnel parking area to Inspiration Point, which is a good south rim view when Glacier Point Road is closed.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sonorasierra » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Another idea is to combine the Panorama Trail with the Four mile trail. This would be about 13 miles total. You could take the shuttle bus in the valley to get back to your car. The only problem is that the Four Mile Trail is mostly north facing so it takes a while for the snow to melt from this trail. It's typically one of the last trails in the valley to be opened up.

In the middle of May I would also recommend the Upper Yosemite Falls Trail. The falls should be flowing very well from all the snowmelt in the higher elevations. The view from about halfway up the trail is absolutely amazing. It’s one of the most unique hikes I have ever done. There is a unmarked trail to a viewing area on the right side of the main trail about halfway up where the entire falls is viewable. You can see the upper falls, middle cascades and lower falls. From everywhere else on the trail part of the falls is out of sight.

And the Mist Trail is also a great idea in May. You can take the Mist Trail to the top of Nevada Falls and then take the John Muir Trail back down to make a loop hike out of it.
sonorasierra

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:20 am

It's another wild April.

The Panorama Trail never "closes". It's just a matter of how
much snow is on it and the condition of the snow.
It was fully covered this last week, yet a month ago was almost
completely clear all the way to Glacier Point.
With this current storm it may dump more snow on it.
However, the snow melts pretty quickly so I'd still expect only
patches up to GP in mid-May. 4 Mile Trail. Very very unlikely
they will open the gate by then.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking