Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mid May - Glacier Point Road

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mid May - Glacier Point Road

Postby sactown23 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey everybody,

I have a reservation for the wawona campground site for May 12-14 and was hoping to get some help on a couple of questions.

With this past storm and next week storm about to hit, I was wondering if Glacier Point Road has a CHANCE of being open around May 13-14.

I was really hoping to hike up to Taft Point and Glacier Point, but if the road is closed that wont be possible.

If the road is closed, is there any way to hike to the trailhead?

If not, what other peaks have gorgeous and spectacular views that would be open to hike/drive up to the trailhead?

Thanks in advance.
sactown23
Regular
Regular

Re: Mid May - Glacier Point Road

Postby dan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 pm

The road plowing status is here:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm
The recent storms are too late to make much of a difference--spring snow doesn't stick and melts fast on bare pavement.

An alternative is to start out from Tunnel View (Inspiration Point) and hike up the trail toward Dewey Point and beyond, depending on snow conditions.

You can also hike up the Four Mile Trail, but it may not be open.

If there's snow, it's hard or impossible to find the summer trails under it. Roads are easy to follow under snow, but not trails.

There's a chance, it will be open by mid-May, as they "try" to have it open by Memorial Day (it seems), but no guarantees from me (and certainly not from the NPS :-) ).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:46 am

It's only open weekends until end of May. So 12-14 is a no go.

Anyway, the same question is here and the bird and eeek responded:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,24585
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking