Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

HELP!!!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

HELP!!!

Postby RAINMAN19 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:21 am

I apologize in advance for my lack of planning. Due to a conflict in one of my hiking partner's schedule we had to bag a 3 month in the making epic Wind River Range trip.

We will be traveling to Yosemite in mid to late September. We plan to arrive in Yosemite from San Fran on a Sunday afternoon, hopefully on the trailhead no later than 4pm. The goal is 5 nights in the woods (S,M,T,W,Th) out on Friday morning and back to San Fran for a red eye flight back east (11pm flight).

What would be the best loop?

start at TM up through Cathedral lakes to half dome then over to merced lake and then to vogelsang and out rafferty creek to tm

OR

TM UP Cathedral lake upt to half dome then back to tenaya lake and over to May lake to glen A then to TM.

OR

TM up to cathedral lake to half dome to yosemite valley over snow creek to may lake to glen a then to tm.

we have done 60 miles at glacier north loop so we can handle the distance. which route would you recommend, where would you camp and would you do any them counterclockwise. Lastly, are we better off starting at yosemite valley or some place on tioga road.

p.s. the trip could go to 9/24 - Snow?

thanks in advance
RAINMAN19
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:11 pm

spend some time on the Yosemite web page reading regulations on backpacking. If this is your first time backpacking Yosemite, you need to know what to expect. http://nps.gov/yose

You will need a wilderness permit and a bear canister from the Yosemite approved list. If you can't get a reserved permit, you will have to go to a wilderness office and get a walk in permit for your outing. If there are none available, you will have to go back the following morning early and wait in line for the office to open at which point you will get a permit for the NEXT DAY (the permits are available the day before your anticipated start date) or show up at the office after 10 am and get one that has not been picked up and therefore released to the public again.

You will not be able to park overnight on Tioga Pass after mid September when the concessionaire shuts down for the season. Having someone drop you off would let you start a hike from TM.

There may be snow, but perhaps not the sort that sticks and gets deep -- we got that sort of snow in mid-late November last year. It varies from year to year, but winter weather sometimes doesn't set in til December. You would do well to have a car with snow cables just in case, if you have a car at all - tho as I understand they will not allow you to use those with a rental car. Shuttles will be not so convenient this late, the hiker bus won't be running and the busses less frequent. YARTS service will diminish as well.

Hitting the trailhead that late I hope you are comfortable with hiking in the dark, particularly if you end up going up from Happy Isles - the first allowed campsite from that trailhead is Little Yosemite Valley, which is more than four miles. Many trailheads have the four mile rule, some have the two mile rule.

You could do a number of routes - but if you are wanting something with the classic Yosemite views of the valley, there are south rim (Pohono) and north rim trails to use. Or you could make your own loop heading up from Happy Isles to Clouds Rest (cables come down around this time as well so Half Dome is out, CR is a better view anyway) and up to Sunrise or Cathedral, connect with the network of trails to make your way back down to Merced Lake and out to the valley again.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Uh...
You can park overnight on Tioga until October 15th.

I'd vote for your first loop. Go thru Sunrise Lakes and over Clouds Rest,
don't go down the JMT.
From Merced you'll enjoy either way, Lewis or Fletcher.

Entire route is < 50 miles. And you should be able to go up Half Dome
then too. *they typ come down in early October too

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks bill - I thought it coincided with the shutdown of the DNC run facilities, but October makes more sense. :)
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:48 pm

I would suggest one minor adjustment to your loop #1. Instead of taking the Rafferty Creek trail to TM use the trail by Evelyn Lake. It adds a couple of miles but the austere beauty of Evelyn Lake is stunning, and Lyell Canyon is sublimely magnificent.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:05 am

I'd concur with Jon.

Although I guess I have to go by Evelyn again with that statement.
I usually go xcountry Ireland to Fletcher Lake (or vice-versa).

If you got the time you could hike up Lyell Canyon more and then
backtrack out. But I have no idea what you guys are capable of
with the time u have. With the redeye flight you can camp pretty
far out on the last day.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby RAINMAN19 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:43 am

bill-e-g wrote:Uh...
You can park overnight on Tioga until October 15th.

I'd vote for your first loop. Go thru Sunrise Lakes and over Clouds Rest,
don't go down the JMT.
From Merced you'll enjoy either way, Lewis or Fletcher.

Entire route is < 50 miles. And you should be able to go up Half Dome
then too. *they typ come down in early October too

Have fun

Thanks Bill - We received a confirmation of a permit request starting at Cathedral Lakes Trailhead. Thoughts? Also, not sure what you mean by "don't go down the JMT". I need to get a map. And to all, I agree I will come out via the canyon. Can I get suggestions of where along the trail you would camp over those 5 days - assuming that the first night is only a few miles in. We are not after to hike in the dark, actually, the majority of our initial entries into the woods has been at night (rain, no moon, snow, etc.).

Thanks,

Jim
RAINMAN19
Regular
Regular

Postby sierranomad » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:52 am

RAINMAN19 wrote: Also, not sure what you mean by "don't go down the JMT". I need to get a map.

He's suggesting that you depart the JMT at the junction to Sunrise Lakes, and take that trail over Clouds Rest.

Everyone has their favorite map, mine is Trails Illustrated.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking