Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Next Week's Hiking Itinerary—What do you think?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Next Week's Hiking Itinerary—What do you think?

Postby kgalligano » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:56 am

After some research and some help from this board a few weeks ago, my wife and I have decided to complete the following hikes next week (Thursday through Sunday). What do you think about this itinerary? We are flying into SFO late Wednesday from New England so we will most likely have some jet lag. I am also assuming that the weather will be a bit cooler than average, but will get progressively warmer during our stay (from a high of 47 on Wednesday to 63 on Sunday). We are staying in West Yosemite.

Thursday Afternoon: Mariposa Grove-Looks to be an easy trail, which will probably be needed after a busy Wednesday and 3 hours of driving. Do you think we will have trouble finding parking at the South Entrance given Mariposa Grove Road is closed?

Friday: Lower and Upper Yosemite Falls-I figure this will be the best day to accomplish this hike; I assume this is one of the busier trails on Weekends. Do you think we can we get to Yosemite Point or will it be too icy?

Saturday-Mist Trail-I wanted to wait until weekend to complete this trail as the temps should get back into the 60's. Hopefully we will make it up to Nevada Falls! As long as we aren't soaked, we will probably try Inspiration Point Trail on the way home. I am assuming we can't get up to Stamford/Dewey Points; if we could I would complete it on Sunday.

Sunday- On our last day, we will probably hit whatever we missed on the Valley Floor in the morning then head to Hetch Hetchy for the day.

What do you think? Would you change anything?
kgalligano

Postby balzaccom » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:31 pm

You shouldn't have trouble parking at Mariposa Grove on a Thursday afternoon. It's an easy hike--but I seem to remember it being a couple of miles in, before you get to any of the trees. It's lovely.

The other two hikes are great, and you will enjoy them. I'd also make time to just wander out into the middle of Yosemite Valley--it's a great way to get away from the crowds and appreciate one of the most beautiful places on earth.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Next Week's Hiking Itinerary—What do you think?

Postby dan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:18 pm

kgalligano wrote:Thursday Afternoon: Mariposa GroveDo you think we will have trouble finding parking at the South Entrance given Mariposa Grove Road is closed?
No--there's plenty of parking, across the street and to the right (southeast) from the entrance station. Mariposa Grove isn't as popular when people have to walk an extra mile or whatever to get to the grove.

kgalligano wrote:Friday: Lower and Upper Yosemite Falls Do you think we can we get to Yosemite Point or will it be too icy?
No--it's blasted by the sun (south facing). You might have some piles of snow in the shade to the west of Yosemite Creek, but I doubt it. It's a long hike, especially if you're doing the extra distance to Yosemite Point. Be sure not to miss the upper falls overlook--that's a lot more important and dramatic.

kgalligano wrote:Saturday-Mist Trail-I wanted to wait until weekend to complete this trail as the temps should get back into the 60's. Hopefully we will make it up to Nevada Falls! As long as we aren't soaked, we will probably try Inspiration Point Trail on the way home. I am assuming we can't get up to Stamford/Dewey Points; if we could I would complete it on Sunday.
Stanford and Dewey Points or the GP Road are still snow bound.

kgalligano wrote:Sunday- On our last day, we will probably hit whatever we missed on the Valley Floor in the morning then head to Hetch Hetchy for the day.
It's a bit of a drive to Hetch Hetchy--I would plan to spend the full day in either place, but not both. If you're a first time visitor, plan to see Yosemite Valley first.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Next Week's Hiking Itinerary—What do you think?

Postby sierranomad » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:33 pm

dan wrote:
kgalligano wrote:Sunday- On our last day, we will probably hit whatever we missed on the Valley Floor in the morning then head to Hetch Hetchy for the day.
If you're a first time visitor, plan to see Yosemite Valley first.

I agree with Dan. Yosemite Valley has so much more to offer than Hetch Hetchy. Spend some time wandering about in El Capitan Meadow. Follow the Merced River. Maybe spend the day doing the Valley Loop trail. It has very little elevation gain and showcases some of Yosemite's best icons.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking