Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

seeking a backpacking group or some pointers

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:53 pm

I have no idea what map you are looking at - there is no trail connecting that trailhead to anywhere other than the Ostrander Lake/Deer Camp trails. Unless you are looking at the Westfall Meadows trail, which is not from that trailhead, it starts from the road and heads south. The McGurk trail (which meets the Pohono) is from a trailhead on the road, not the campground. They are all close together but are not the same trailhead. The trail from the trailhead you are talking about goes SOUTH. It is the only trail there until it meets the Ostrander trail within a mile. It does not connect to Pohono.

You cannot camp half way to LYV, or between Bridalveil CG and Ilillouette. You cannot camp on the Panorama Trail. Your only options are Bridalveil Creek, and Ilillouette creek, neither of which connects well with your trailhead. You need a permit for McGurk, Taft Point/Sentinel Dome, Glacier Point, Mono Meadows, or from the Wawona tunnel to put you on the trail system you are talking about so you can make the hike as planned.

I got to the wilderness office well before sunrise and waited in line for hours to get a permit last minute from Happy Isles. The person behind me was also, and myself and the two people in front of me got the last few, the person behind me was out of luck. And you have to be there the day before you want to start hiking to wait in line - you'll have to camp in the backpacker campground that night and start in the morning.

I'm sorry this is so hard - but it does matter to the park staff that you are using the right permit for the right trailhead.

suman wrote:
day 1: Bridalveil campground to GP or somewhere half way to LYV.
day 2: to LYV
day 3: base camp @LYV and day hike
day 4: same as day 3
day 5: LYV to happy isles

@AlmostThere: i see a unnamed trail on the map from bridalveil campground that connects to pohono trail in about 3-3.5 miles

You know my dates now and i am open to other ideas. All permits starting from happy isles are gone for those dates. I plan to arrive by AM on 6/26. How hard is it to get the first come first server permits for the trail heads that are full, like happy isles?

Since this is my first ever backpacking trip, i dont want to choose a route thats totally out of the way. I remember your comment about "you are never alone", but i am speaking relatively herel. I really appreciate your replies.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby suman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:19 pm

thanks. i am actually glad to know all this information now so i dont end up clueless on the 26th.

so my permit from Bridalweil CG only lets me go south? I understand your trail description and it matches what i see on the map here. But i assumed i could go north.

I might do what you did and camp in the backpackers' camp on the 26th and stand in line for the permit next day. is 3am early enough? i know its not guaranteed, but just trying to find out when people start lining up.

@bill-e-g: thanks. I am going on 6/26. thats when i arrive there, in the morning. i have till 30th. I've read about fast/cold streams and creeks. I dont plan to rough it up too much. Its the first time i will be carrying extra 30-40 lbs on my back.

are there any other trail suggestions?
Suman
suman
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:28 pm

You can't camp in the backpacker camp without the permit. You must have either a confirmation letter or the permit itself. That's why I said you need to be there very early to stand in line, the day before you want to start hiking - you can't stay in the bp camp without the permit. If you use the permit you have to stay in the camp and go stand in line the following morning, you will end up staying another night in the backpacker campground, because the walkin permits for the day have been given out the previous morning to the people who stood in line then.

Bill is right, you probably would be better off calling and talking to a ranger. Or read all about the rules for the wilderness permits on the website, www.nps.gov/yose.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby suman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:43 am

I called up the wilderness center this morning and got some answers. So apparently people line up as early as 4am for the permits. Also, if i need to go north from Bridalveil CG area, i need to switch my permit to McGurk. thanks for your feedback guys.

It seems like if you camp in LYV, you can leave your stuff there and do some day hiking. Are you allowed to setup basecamp like this elsewhere in the wilderness as long as your follow the bear safety rules? Do people do that?
Suman
suman
Regular
Regular

Postby Dave Miller » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:05 pm

I've base camped at LYV and had a pretty great time. Although if I were do it again, I'd head up the Merced River past Morraine Dome and basecamp there.

LYV is a busy campground and you will not get any privacy so if that bugs you, look elsewhere.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby suman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:46 pm

I've changed my permit to mono meadow starting on the 27th. I am planning to do some day hiking on the 26th and camp overnight in the valley. On 27th, i will camp near moraine dome. I will setup base camp there and do some day hiking on 28th and 29th. the plan is to go up to sunrise lakes on 30th, and eventually to cathedral lakes, tuolumne meadows and happy isles via bus, if conditions permit. Or else, turn back and to happy isles via glacier point. either way, i have till july 4th to enjoy.

So far, i havent found a partner. but i do have an extra permit. Having read all your comments and other experiences online, i think it will be ok even if i am by myself.

Please feel free to share any tips that are useful for a solo backpacker.
Suman
suman
Regular
Regular

Postby andykee » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:40 am

suman wrote:Please feel free to share any tips that are useful for a solo backpacker.

Don't carry a 2-man tent. Or don't carry a tent at all!
andykee
Regular
Regular

Postby orion » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:30 pm

If you start to get worried and hurried, slow down and take your time to think clearly. Panic can lead to grave mistakes when you are by yourself.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby cjoz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:14 pm

That's a pretty heavily trafficked area but I would carry a whistle in case I got in trouble. If you're alone nobody will be looking for you. That being said, people are very helpful on the trail and don't hesitate to ask questions etc. while you're out there.
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby suman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi everybody,

I just got back and it was a blast! Loneliness got to me for the first two nights, but it was not a big deal after that. It ended up being a great experience. I will post a detailed report and share my experience but for now, this is a quick follow up.

Though i had a lot of fun, i rather go with a partner or two next time around. I think it makes things easier. for example, your partner can handle the "potential bear situation" while you walk down to the river to get some water. Saves a lot of time and more enjoyable, i think.
Suman
suman
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking