Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Pohono/Panorama Trail in Mid May?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Pohono/Panorama Trail in Mid May?

Postby j7bender » Mon May 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Hello all,

I have a wilderness permit for May 16-18 to backpack the Pohono Trail (from Wawona Tunnel) to the Panorama Trail and down to Happy Isles (via Mist Trail/John Muir). Checking on conditions it seems there is more snow at the higher elevations than I predicted. Is it possible to do this route now/2 weeks from now? Further, is it possible without snow shoes? I'd really like to give this a shot but don't want to force anything dangerous. For what its worth we have plans to visit the valley, yosemite falls, and mariposa grove on other days so I really hope this portion of the trip will work out.

I also have an additional question about reaching the Pohono Trailhead at Wawona Tunnel. Obviously either on the way out or coming back we'll have to get out there without the use of our car. Is there any sort of taxi service in the park or are we going to try to have to hitchhike? Or would YARTS buses work? Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for the help,

Jeremy
j7bender

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 03, 2010 5:35 pm

There are free shuttles that operate in the valley floor, one of them would take you back to Wawona Tunnel.

You'll probably find quite a bit of snow. When you pick up the permit, the rangers should let you know about trail conditions - that's part of why they want you to come in to pick up permits, so they can provide last minute information. If the Pohono is impassable you could ask what other routes might be do-able and see if there are permits left for them.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon May 03, 2010 7:02 pm

AlmostThere wrote:There are free shuttles that operate in the valley floor, one of them would take you back to Wawona Tunnel.

There is?

I only know the open-air tram thingy goes up to the tunnel.
The valley shuttles buses don't as far as I know.
Heck, they even quit running the one that loops by the 4 Mile TH
later in the year (it's a nice walk from the BP Parking tho)
I think the closest you may be able to get a bus that time is by
Cathedral Beach.
No other buses are running yet afaik.

Good luck... and yeah, you can expect lots o snow up there still.
LOTS. I'd reverse the route if possible and turn around and head
back down if it gets to much. You should be able to get up to
GP though.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 03, 2010 7:07 pm

You're right - looks like the extended shuttle service starts in LATE May. The hiker bus would probably let one off at the tunnel, but it doesn't run til Glacier Pt Rd opens.

Could always hitch....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon May 03, 2010 8:39 pm

There is a trail almost all the way back up to the tunnel.
You only need to walk on the road for a short stretch
after Bridalveil before jumping onto the old road.
It takes you past Artist Pt. which is nice... however, you
end up climbing higher than the parking lot and have to
drop back down. (I've done this once... and I'd probably do
it again just because I don't care to hitchhike)
So... you could hike all the way back up to your car.
It's a long haul though... especially from Happy Isles.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Mon May 03, 2010 9:11 pm

If you decide not to try the Pohono Trail you could go to Glacier Point via Happy Isles and spend a night or two there (backcountry camping is allowed there until the road opens).

You could also hike up the Glacier Point Road (it is groomed for skiing so bring snowshoes and stay off the ski tracks) to the TH for Sentinel Dome. A cool hike in the snow.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue May 04, 2010 6:22 am

Jon, once they start plowing GP road (typ. around Apr. 15),
Glacier Pt. road is completely closed.
Maybe you know this but just wanna mention it so that
they take that off the table for their planning this yr.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby j7bender » Tue May 04, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks a ton for the help, not exactly what I wanted to hear but at least I can start figuring out other options.

How come there are a couple suggestions to go up to GP via the Panorama trail as opposed to Pohono? Is there generally less snow cover on that side? Looking at trails with reservation spots still open it appears we could go from Happy Isles to Illilouette then up Panorama the rest of the way to GP the next day and back down to Happy Isles. Worth it?

If we end up cutting off the Pohono segment of the trip what are some other lengthy hikes (1-2 days) that you would suggest? We are already doing the upper falls trail, going to Mariposa, and probably some smaller stuff like Bridalveil Falls and Sentinel Meadow/Cooks Meadow loop.

Lastly anyone know the status on the Mariposa road opening? It is still closed but everything I've read says it usually opens in April.

Sorry for all of the questions, doesn't help that I can never get through to a ranger but thanks again for any feedback.

Jeremy
j7bender

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 04, 2010 8:07 am

It's fairly early for backpacking in Yosemite. Hetch Hetchy is the usual May backpack this early.

I had to sort out that you mean Mariposa Grove - not the town of Mariposa which is south of the park. (should not read the internets without coffee perhaps) There has been snow falling recently so yes, the road is still closed. We did a snowshoe in March. I suspect that you would be able to hike the road to the grove and walk around without snowshoes by the time you get there, even if it is still closed.

Not sure there's much that does not have significant snow cover at this point...

Pohono Trail has a lot of trees along it, and thus snow in large patches. I took a group for a dayhike to Taft Point last year about the end of May (after the road opened of course) and in spots where you walk in forest it was easy to get off trail. Haven't been on Panorama this early in the year, but I suspect it melts sooner....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Tue May 04, 2010 8:48 am

bill-e-g wrote:Jon, once they start plowing GP road (typ. around Apr. 15),
Glacier Pt. road is completely closed.

Thanks Bill, no I didn't know that. THey should still be able to camp at GP though, shouldn't they? Until the road is open to GP? I know I've camped there Memorial Day weekend, and left as I heard the plow coming in. The Wilderness Permit Ranger didn't seem too sure about allowing me to do it, but did.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Tue May 04, 2010 8:55 am

j7bender wrote: Looking at trails with reservation spots still open it appears we could go from Happy Isles to Illilouette then up Panorama the rest of the way to GP the next day and back down to Happy Isles. Worth it?

If we end up cutting off the Pohono segment of the trip what are some other lengthy hikes.

Sorry for all of the questions, doesn't help that I can never get through to a ranger but thanks again for any feedback.
Jeremy

Yes, it's definitely worth it.

Do the entire western Valley loop. If you take your time it could be an entire day. Spend some time in El Cap Meadow, along the river, etc.

Don't worry about the questions. That's what the forum is for. Currently I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone (while I could always go to Yosemite, my wife wanted to see something different) and I am asking a ton of questions on their forum.

I know it can be disapointing when your plans don't pan out as hoped, but May is a great time in Yosemite, and I'm convinced once there you won't be disappointed.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue May 04, 2010 9:40 am

Pan trail up to GP faces West and South-ish, not alot of tree cover
so it clears up way before the section of Pahono Tr. from Wawona
Tun up to Stanford Pt.

As long as you don't camp RIGHT ON Glacier Pt. it's fine.
Last year after the road closed we camped at Washburn.

The problem with the snow cover right now is you posthole big time.
In a few more weeks probably... you can walk right on top of the
snow... usually. Get some snowshoes and then you aren't limited.
Winter is fast becoming my favorite time. (It's 2x as hard tho...)

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby j7bender » Tue May 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the help. After getting advice here and talking to some people at the permit office I decided to switch our permit so that we can leave from Happy Isles. We will go up the Panorama trail but cut off right after the set of switchbacks down towards Illilouette Creek (to satisfy the first night camping requirements). The map I have doesn't give trail names but there are two trails that fork off south and we'll take the Western most one, then next day head back up to Panorama trail via the trail that meets up with it near Illilouette falls. Then up to GP if we can make it that far and back down the entire Panorama trail.

Anyone hiked around in that area of those couple trails south of the panorama trail between the mist trail and Illilouette falls? Haven't read much about this area (let alone even find trail names yet). Either way I figure worst case scenario we just turn around, and if something doesn't work we'll be flexible find another awesome area of the park to explore.

Can't wait to go, I look at pictures every day.

Jeremy
j7bender

Postby bill-e-g » Wed May 05, 2010 7:29 am

From what you said I guess you are going to cross the Illilouette on
the "western one" and then go north on the trail west of Illilouette Creek.
If that is indeed your plan then crossing Ill. w/o a bridge
won't necessarily be much of an issue (there is a HUGE downed
tree north of the trail). I would concern myself more with the
crossing of the trib. stream which flows from Mono Meadow.
There used to be a bridge across that stream just to give you an idea.
I've only crossed it late in the year so I dunno... I wouldn't go
that way early unless I was prepared to completely backtrack.
Depending on snow ... I'd take the EASTERN ONE about 2.5 miles
from the Pan. Trl. Junction. and camp with sweet view of Starr King.
Then I'd backtrack back to Pan. Trail and cross Ill. using the bridge.

Just some food for thought. If you want a pix. of Starr from there
I'll throw one up.

If you go your way... please let us know how it went...
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby j7bender » Wed May 05, 2010 8:43 am

From what you said I guess you are going to cross the Illilouette on
the "western one" and then go north on the trail west of Illilouette Creek.
If that is indeed your plan then crossing Ill. w/o a bridge
won't necessarily be much of an issue (there is a HUGE downed
tree north of the trail). I would concern myself more with the
crossing of the trib. stream which flows from Mono Meadow.
There used to be a bridge across that stream just to give you an idea.
I've only crossed it late in the year so I dunno... I wouldn't go
that way early unless I was prepared to completely backtrack.
Depending on snow ... I'd take the EASTERN ONE about 2.5 miles
from the Pan. Trl. Junction. and camp with sweet view of Starr King.
Then I'd backtrack back to Pan. Trail and cross Ill. using the bridge.

Just some food for thought. If you want a pix. of Starr from there
I'll throw one up.

If you go your way... please let us know how it went...

What you just described is correct about what I was trying to say. Thanks for the advice about the crossings, I might have a talk with some rangers to see what they think but I'm guessing we'll just play it safe like you said. I'll definitely put up a report of the trip (hopefully with some decent pics) after we're back.

I'd love to see the picture if you don't mind.
j7bender

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking