Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

JMT/ Clouds rest hiking information

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

JMT/ Clouds rest hiking information

Postby goingyard » Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am

We are taking a three day two night hike at the end of July. We are starting at the Tenaya lake trail head. I know for a fact that we are going to do at least Clouds Rest. At this point we are leaning toward summiting clouds rest the first day and then heading down to the JMT/Clouds rest lower tailhead to camp the first night. The second day is what is still up in the air. Part of the group wants to get up the next day and go and do Half Dome, some have not done it before. I was leaning toward heading to the Sunrise lake area.

My first concern is the first day and how far we will be going. I have never done that trail before. The second is that I have done half dome, but I have never been to the sunrise lake area before. How long and diffucult is the hike back to sunrise lake and is it worth spending a little time there.
I would love some advise on the spots that we are talking about and if you would make any changes please let me know.

Bryan
goingyard
Regular
Regular

Postby bbmq » Fri May 07, 2010 3:49 pm

I'm doing that same hike in early July and doing Half Dome the 2nd day. I'm told it's about 10.5 miles to go over Cloud's Rest and get to Sunrise Creek. I've been on the other side of the creek along the JMT where there are excellent campsites, but I'm told there are also sites before the creek.

If the distance is too much for the first day then I'm told you can camp at the small ponds before Cloud's Rest, which is about 5 - 5.5 miles in. There doesn't appear to be any water between these two spots.

I also plan on heading back up to Sunrise after HD. You'll head uphill gradually for a few miles at first and then it becomes steep for a few miles. It's tough while it lasts but you'll be finishing with some modest downhills. Overall it would make for a long 2 1/2 days if you do HD, maybe 30 miles?
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: JMT/ Clouds rest hiking information

Postby sierranomad » Fri May 07, 2010 6:55 pm

goingyard wrote:
I would love some advise on the spots that we are talking about and if you would make any changes please let me know.
Bryan

You shouldn't have any problem in making it to the lower CR TH for the first night, that is, assuming that you get a reasonably early start and everyone is in decent shape.

As far as your itinerary is concerned, of course it's all a matter of personal preference. But since you're already going to have the views from Clouds Rest (superior to the views from HD) I'd skip HD and use the time to go to Sunrise Lakes, and heading out via the JMT to Tuolumne Meadows. Much of this part of the JMT is very nice.

There is a free shuttle in Tuolumne Meadows, and I believe that you can take it to Tenaya Lake (in case that's where your car is).
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby goingyard » Sat May 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks for all the info. I can't wait tell this trip.
goingyard
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking