Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

North Dome Trail Condition

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

North Dome Trail Condition

Postby ScoutmasterBill » Tue May 11, 2010 11:27 am

Checking to see if anyone has any knowledge on the condition of the trail to North Dome via the Yosemite Falls Trail. I am planning to be there this weekend and I am considering doing this hike versus Half Dome being that the cables to Half Dome are not yet up. Any info, comments, suggestions are welcome.
ScoutmasterBill

Postby Wickett » Tue May 11, 2010 11:33 am

There is still lots of snow. It is pretty packed though, I only occasionally post holed without snow shoes. It was snowing up there last night so there is some new stuff...
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ScoutmasterBill » Tue May 11, 2010 12:31 pm

At what point along the hike (starting at the bottom of the falls) do you begin to encounter a fair amount of snow? And at what point does the trail become difficult to follow? I am just trying to figure out how far we can get.
Thanks!
ScoutmasterBill

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:59 pm

How far is it to ND from the Valley via the Yosemite Falls trail? I've done North Dome from Tioga, but never via the YF trail.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ScoutmasterBill » Tue May 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Based on the map I have, it's 7.9 mi from the Valley to ND. I have yet to hike it. I am trying to figure out if its possible for this coming weekend, based on the questions that I hope someone can answer, in my previous post.
ScoutmasterBill

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Have you called the valley ranger station for trail conditions? Not sure if they keep up on that trail in winter, but its worth a call.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ScoutmasterBill » Tue May 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Good suggestion. Thanks!
ScoutmasterBill

Postby sierranomad » Thu May 13, 2010 5:14 am

ScoutMasterBill:

Just wondering if you've gotten any information on the trail condition? I'm going there tomorrow, and trying to decide between ND and the Panorama Trail.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ScoutmasterBill » Thu May 13, 2010 8:09 am

No. I tried calling the ranger station. Not sure if I am calling the right number (209)372-0200. Can't seem to talk to a live person. Was hoping someone else out there has more info on the condition of the trail or a more reliable phone number. I leave tomorrow morning.
ScoutmasterBill

Postby hotrod4x5 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:12 am

I'm still too new here to post links, but just fix this link to get most of the direct numbers:

yosemitefun dot com/Yosemite_National_Park_phone_numbers.htm

http://yosemitefun.com/Yosemite_Nationa ... umbers.htm
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 am

Jon, just walk into the Wilderness Center before you go and ask
a Ranger in there. If you look a the pix I posted in another thread
from last Saturday ... Panorama still had quite a bit of snow.
Almost fully covered. It can melt fast... but from what I saw from
my trip I'd go the North Dome route. You'll get to Yosemite Pt.
from Yose Falls without any issue really... so it probably won't matter
anyway.

Have fun ... stuck at home this weekend...
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ScoutmasterBill » Thu May 13, 2010 9:11 am

Talked to a ranger that deals with Wilderness Permits & Wilderness Conditions (209)372-0308. He picked the phone right up and answered all my questions. The trail to North Dome, via the Yosemite Falls Trail, is covered with 1 - 2 feet of snow when you get to the top of Upper Yosemite Falls. Icy and hard pack in the morning, soft and slushy in the afternoon. Trail is covered with snow so you need to be able to navigate the route on your own. He suggested snowshoes for the afternoon trek if you plan to go there otherwise you'll be postholing. He has only seen a few small groups attempt the trail recently.
ScoutmasterBill

Postby sierranomad » Thu May 13, 2010 2:04 pm

bill-e-g wrote: from last Saturday ... Panorama still had quite a bit of snow.
Almost fully covered.

Have fun ... stuck at home this weekend...

Wow! My "traditional" time to go Pan is Memorial Day weekend, and there is usually very little if any snow on the trail. Some patches at GP. I'm surprised that 3 weeks makes that big a difference....then again, it could just be the year.

Sorry that you're stuck at home :)

ScoutmasterBill wrote:Talked to a ranger that deals with Wilderness Permits & Wilderness Conditions The trail to North Dome, via the Yosemite Falls Trail, is covered with 1 - 2 feet

Thanks scoutmaster. It's good to know. Looks like it's not going to be the high mileage day that I was planning on, so will just go as far as time/conditions allow.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking