Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Is Illilouette creek good for a first timer?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Is Illilouette creek good for a first timer?

Postby yosemethan » Sat May 15, 2010 11:03 am

I have done a fair amount of backpacking before, my longest outing being a month on Trail Crew at Philmont in New Mexico. I have stayed at the Wawona, Yosemite Lodge, and Housekeeping Camp, but have not yet camped in the backcountry at Yosemite. My wife and I would like to start off with a one-night excursion. I'll be carrying our 2 1/2 year old on my back (I lugged her up to the top of Nevada falls last weekend), and my wife will have most of the gear.

We were thinking of doing this itinerary:
First day: Glacier Point -> Illilouette Creek
Second day: Illilouette Creek -> Happy Isles via Mist Trail

Does that seem like a good plan? Where would we likely camp the night before and the night after? Any other advice?
yosemethan

Postby Dave Miller » Sat May 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Illilouette is a fairly easy trek, depending on the time of year. Early in the season there is at least one water crossing or a side creek that may be a challenge with a child. I did it two years ago the first week of June without getting wet, but had to do some boulder hopping among some heavy brush.

We actually camped right after the crossing, but I think we technically weren't out of the "no camp" area. It was a pretty good spot though.

The route back isn't too bad, but you will have a nice steep ascent from Illilouette Creek up to Nevada Falls.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sat May 15, 2010 7:55 pm

You could also go in at Mono Meadows. Once you get to Illiloutte Creek, you'll have to cross it...maybe by wading. The trail is then easy to follow, and from that trailhead, you can camp as soon as you get to the creek.

I think this is perfectly doable as a hike. You can camp at Bridalveil campground the night before. And somehow, you will have to get back to your car. You could do that with the shuttle to Glacier Point. Mono Meadows is right on that road too.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sun May 16, 2010 7:15 am

Yeah, that's an easy trek. You don't have to cross the stream which
flows from Mono Meadow area or the Ill w/o a bridge.
I'd avoid that anyway with a kid on your back. Not sure I even
want to think what could happen. This year the Ill and the feeder
stream will be screaming a lot longer... probably well into July.
To avoid the crossings go down from GP and take the Buena Vista
Trail and camp before that crossing. I've seen lots of people
camping there before.
Next day hike back up and then take the Panorama Trail to Nevada.
Panorama Trail will be more interesting anyway IMO.
All told that second day you have about 1000ft. to climb to crest
on the Pan trail. From there it's pretty much all downhill.
Bridalveil campground will probably not be open until July
(I think that is typical anyway). On 2nd day you can stay at
the backpackers cmpground in the valley.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby yosemethan » Sun May 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses.
yosemethan

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:07 am

What I did one year was leave my car up at Glacier point, and then in the morning rode the hiker's bus to retrieve it. Instead of our entire party riding the bus, which would have cost more, it made more sense to drive the car up and only one person ride the bus back to get it.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby yosemethan » Tue May 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Good advice. We're actually thinking about heading out from the Mono Meadows trailhead so we can cover more terrain without having to backtrack. Does anyone know if the Glacier Point bus will drop me back off there to retrieve our car?
yosemethan

Postby dan » Tue May 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Yeah, you can get off where there's a trailhead or turnout big enough for the bus. You can do this for both the Tioga Road and Glacier Point Road busses.
You have to pay for the bus ticket though (do this at the transportation desk of any Yosemite Valley hotel, such as Yosemite Lodge or Curry Village).

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_ ... tTour.aspx
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking