Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Edit: Some brainfarts removed fka changing plans

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Edit: Some brainfarts removed fka changing plans

Postby Bart.T » Tue May 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi,
I have long been planning a family backpack for mid July, but I did not want to make a TH reservaton until I had my airline tickets set. Now that I have that set, the reservations are gone for Cathedral Lakes. So I am considering some alternative plans.

The good news is that our trip can now be as long as 6 nights, which is an extra night beyond our original plan. So, we could burn that extra day on trying for a first come permit and spend the rest of the day in and around Tuloumne.

Alternatively, given all the snow, I've been pondering a trip from Hetch Hetchy from Beehive up to Laurel Lake and Jack Main, then wind around Benson Lake and paradise valley and down the Rancheria drainage. Figuring it will be hot but plenty of places to cool off, right? [edit: Now realize that this loop will be too long for our group]

Another option is to leave from [edited again - meant Young not Ten] Young Lakes and head for the Mt Conness area, base camp and scramble around there, and then wind our way back over to Glen Aulin and up the trail back to Tuloumne.

Would reservations be recommended for a Tuesday morning departure for either of these? Any other comments on these loops? I would like to keep the mileage around 5-6 per day.
Last edited by Bart.T on Thu May 20, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bart.T
Regular
Regular

Postby hiker97 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:03 pm

I like your 10 Lakes to Glen Aulin idea. Reservations would be good if you can get them. Did you mean Mt Hoffman or Mt Conness? Hoffman is near May Lake and would be along your route. I believe the section from 10 Lakes back toward May Lake, which is ultimately on the way to Glen Aulin, has its upper passes around 9900' elevation. I imagine you'll find lots of snow and if things don't melt and/or it's too early in July, then it might be a challenging adventure on that section.
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Bart.T » Thu May 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Hiker97: Sorry to mislead you. I don't know why I switched ten lakes and young lakes, but hey, I am thinking I need to think lower elevation anyway to keep the kids happy and warm. So it was good to hear you think that one might work.

I'm inclined now towards either going through with our original plan, as first come first serve lets us acclimatize one day before setting out, and also lets us choose our trailhead based on where the mosquitos and weather dictate.
- so if its crazy dry hot, which actually NOAA is predicting right now, we can still have the option of going up.
Bart.T
Regular
Regular

Postby hiker97 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:42 pm

OK, I should have guessed you meant Young Lakes to go with Conness...my brain went the other direction! I believe Young Lakes is a route where you could typically get a first-come, first-served permit on a Tuesday morning, but if you prefer to be sure, there might still be advance reservations available. Have a great trip! :D
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking