Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

3 or 4 nights early-mid June!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

3 or 4 nights early-mid June!

Postby bkw » Thu May 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi all,

My fiance and I will be driving to Yosemite on or about June 8-9. Our plan is to spend 3 or 4 nights in the park doing one or two full-day hikes (we'd planned on Half-Dome, but we are rethinking a little just due to congestion at the cables)

Background: We are both late 20s, relatively fit, and in good health. We have done day-hikes before, though I wouldn't consider us avid hikers. I camped a lot as a child, but I haven't been in about 8 years. We spent a day (but only about 8-10 hours) in Yosemite about 3 years ago as part of a roadtrip, and we've been dying to go back.

Questions:
1) Any thoughts on an itinerary? If we decide to do HD, we'll do it Thursday the 10th (hopefully the weather will be nice) because of the permit situation. Any other must-do hikes or must-see vistas or sites? What about non-hiking activities in the park?

2) We'll stay at a FC/FS campground hopefully. I've seen conflicting advice about when to arrive (on a weekday AM) on the forums. Thoughts? Also, should we have a campground preference? Can we drive basically to the campsite? Would we be able to drive off to a trailhead for hikes, then?

3) Food. We are both cooks. Can we cook in all the campgrounds (i.e., are there grills)? I assume we can just throw a cooler in a bear bin (we'll bring a padlock) and buy ice in the park when needed. Is this what most campers do? Is it common to venture out of the park for a meal (and do we have to be back in by a certain time)?

4) Alcohol. Is it ok to have a few beers in the cooler also? We'll almost surely want to kick back with a beer after a major hike, but if it's against the rules (or if it's something that will be offputting to families in the campsite), we'll refrain.

Thanks in advance for your patience and help. Feel free to link relevant threads if I have failed at search :)
bkw

Postby hotrod4x5 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Lots of questions, let me tackle the easy ones first.

Yes, drinking a beer in the campground after a long hike is ok, in fact, it is mandatory. Yes, you can cook in all the campgrounds, and yes you can also leave the park for a bite to eat, but there really isn't much that I would consider worth going to that is within driving distance. If you want to have a served meal one night, then I highly recommend the Pizza Loft in Yosemite Village. GREAT pizza and good beer selections on tap to wash it down. There is also a pizza place in Curry Village, but the Loft has a more gourmet style crust and while I have eaten and enjoyed both, the Loft gets my vote.

The only first come first served campground in the valley is Camp 4, the walk in backpacker's campground. It is also the only campground in the park where you don't park at your site.

You need to decide what hikes you want to do and then figure out which campground is best. Do you want to hike down from Glacier Point, say on the Panorama trail and catch the hiker's bus back? Then Bridalveil campground along the GP road is a good choice. BUT... it might not be open that early in June, since the road isn't even fully plowed and open yet.

If it is open, you could also leave your car in the valley, near Curry Village in the morning, then take the bus to Glacier Point, then you can take your time getting down to the valley and your car to return to your campsite. As long as you leave your tent and things at your site, and you have paid for it, it is yours and no else will take it.

Now, barring that, and if GP road or BV campground isn't yet open, there are other choices along HWY 120 for camping, which will have various opening dates, depending on snow pack.

This year they have had an average (perhaps above average) snow fall, so many campgrounds will be opening later. The snow melt is really going to determine your location.

Another alternative is to try and snag a site in the valley from a no show. I haven't done this, but I understand you get to the CG kiosk, in the NE corner of Curry Village parking lot, put in your name, or stand in a line, or both and hope for the best.

Oh yes, you asked what other non hiking activities there are. You can rent a raft (or bring your own) and go on a leisurely float down the Merced, which can take up to 4 hours if you stop and have lunch. This is a wonderful way to see the valley. This is dependent on the Merced river's flow and opening dates for rafting. You get the rafts in Curry Village, and they bring you back on the bus. If you have your own raft, all you have to do is rent a life jacket for a couple bucks and then deflate your raft and you can ride back on the bus as well.

There are a few miles of paved bike paths around the valley. Rent bikes or bring your own. If you like live theater, then I highly recommend going to one of Lee Stetson's one man performances as John Muir. I have seen his show a couple times and he acts out a few of Muir's adventures and it is a real treat to see. He isn't a spring chicken, so I suggest doing this sooner rather than later, if you catch my drift. I think I saw him for the first time 15 years ago or so, and have seen him 2 times since. Always a great show.

Well, that's all I got for now, I am sure some of the other regular posters here will add to what I have said with some good suggestions.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Thu May 20, 2010 6:10 pm

If you get a back country permit, which are free, you can stay at the backpacker campground, which is located by North Pines, for $5 a night. You can only stay there the night before your permit departure and the night after. I usually use the backpackers campground and not camp 4 AKA the rock climbers campground.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bkw » Sat May 22, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions.

I think we're going to stay just outside the park. Hot showers and real restrooms are just too appealing for a 4 day excursion.

I think we're going to arrive wed 9 and get settled.

Hike Half-Dome on Thursday the 10th.

Rent bikes and explore a bit of the rest of the park, maybe a 1-2 mile late afternoon hike on Friday the 11th (should I be bringing my own bike lock?)

Depending on how we're feeling, we'll do maybe two smaller hikes on Saturday the 12th. Not sure whether we'll hang around on 13th or head out. Might have to play it by ear.

Re: rafting on the Merced. It seems like the river will be way too cold to be comfortable this time of year, no?

We definitely enjoy live theater, and we will try to find the Muir show. Sounds fun.

Please don't hesitate to keep recommendations coming as you think of them. If you're around the park when we are, first round's on us.

Cheers.
bkw

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:04 am

Download the Yosemite Guide before you go, it will give you program information where you can see if Lee Stetson is performing the nights you'll be there. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm

Also, it may be too cold for rafting, hard to say, the weather changes rapidly. The river is pretty calm, and the likely hood of getting wet is very small, unless you choose to get wet by hanging your feet over the side. http://www.yosemitepark.com/activities_ ... fting.aspx

As far as bringing locks for the bikes, the rental bikes are nothing fancy, so them getting stolen isn't very likely. But if you plan to leave them somewhere for a while, you might want to lock them. http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_Biking.aspx

Wherever you are staying, call ASAP. Most valley accommodations are likely sold out, so the motels in El Portal, the closest, are going to sell out soon if not already for your June dates.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking