Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Some sagely suggestions for back-country camping...?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Some sagely suggestions for back-country camping...?

Postby Stubaan » Thu May 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi folks :-)

This August I will be visiting Yosemite with my family from South Africa. It's a whirlwind trip from Seattle to San Fran but we must make do with what little time we have.

I have never been to Yosemite, or indeed any National Park during peak season, so I would very much appreciate any input from those of you in the know. I have read and read and read about the park, to the point of now being completely overwhelmed, so let me just lay out briefly what my little heart desires.

We have three days for Yosemite; one day to get there from San Fran, which would presumably mean afternoon on the first day, then a full second day, then we return to San Fran on the third, presumably quite late.

I desperately want to spend one night back-country camping somewhere in relative isolation. I want to give my parents an authentic experience of American wilderness that might compare with what we've been spoilt with in South Africa, and more than anything this requires escaping the crowds. I say relative isolation because my father is in his mid-60s with a heart that probably should not be hauled up and over glacial mountain slopes. So I'm looking for a place on the valley floor that we could hike out to during the second day and make camp for the night with just our own company and the stars. A few miles there and back should be no problem as long as they're on the valley floor.

Any advice would be very very much appreciated!
Stubaan

Postby Wickett » Thu May 20, 2010 9:30 pm

You will not find a spot in the Valley to camp in solitude. There might be some flatter hikes up in Tuolumne Medows area, I am sure others will chime in on that. Almost all of your trips in Yosemite will have significant elevation gains or losses. I suggest ordering a topographical map online and look at the trails for what you want and get your specifics from people on here who have been there.

Yosemite is not known for its solitude. I normally need to hike a full day just to get out to where I only see a couple of people in a day.

You will love exploring the valley and it will keep you busy for three days. Book your hotel now, or keep checking for campsite reservations to get cancellations. The campsites in the valley is what I call combat camping. The sites are stacked on top of each other and you get no privacy and little serenity.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Thanks Wickett

Postby Stubaan » Thu May 20, 2010 9:58 pm

That is sadly what I suspected I might hear... but ever the optimist ;-)

It sounds like we have the same tastes... Do you have any particular favourite accommodations in the area?
Stubaan

Postby hotrod4x5 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:01 am

Yosemite lodge is a nice, basic motel. Some rooms are called deluxe, which means they are newer, and nicer and many have views of Yosemite Falls from their balcony or patio. Their regular rooms are still fine, and back up to the meadow.

Curry Village has a wide range of choices, from soft sided tent cabins, hard sided cabins, to a row of motel rooms in the Stoneman house.

But anyway, I digress, as you can read all that online. You asked for our preferences. If price was no object, I would choose the Ahwahnee. If I had a fair amount to spend, but not a thousand for a few nights, I would choose Yosemite Lodge. If I am on a budget, then the tent cabins in Curry Village would be my choice.

I have stayed at all except the Ahwahnee.

I understand your desire to have a true, out of the city camping experience, but I wonder, what kind of gear will you have?

As wickett said, there is no place that you can walk a few miles and camp in solitude. To be honest, if you want to be isolated, Yosemite Valley is the last place to go in August.

If you decide to stay in the valley, then I highly recommend the Valley Floor Tour. It is conducted in an open air tram and the guides are knowledgeable and give a great tour. Do that your first afternoon. After your tour, use the valley shuttle bus to visit any of the sites of particular interest. Or better still, walk the valley loop trail to see it all. It will be light until 9PM so you'll have lots of time. NOTE: If you want to do the tour, book and pay well in advance. As soon as you decide, call the number for reservations and book your seats.

The next day, perhaps drive up to Tuolumne Meadows for an easy hike to the top of Dog Dome, or a very slightly more difficult trip to Dog Lake http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road ... g-lake.htm and the top of Lembert Dome http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road ... t-dome.htm, the latter being doable by most anyone who can walk a few miles. While up there, walk along the river and just soak up the scenery. It will be less crowded compared to the valley.

You can also drive further, past the meadows to just before the Tioga Pass entrance station where you can hike to Gaylor Lakes. http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road ... -lakes.htm It is a steep uphill climb at the beginning, but it isn't terribly long. This is a great hike with few crowds everytime I have gone.

Drive back to the valley in time to catch a performance by Lee Stetson if he is giving his one man show when you are there. He becomes John Muir and gives an amazing performance, acting out several of Muir's adventures in Yosemite. Get your tickets early, as the theater is small.

The third day you can head south to see the Mariposa Grove of giant Sequoias near Wawona, take the tram if you want an easier time of it, as the grove grows on a hill. After that, head home.

You could also skip that grove, and visit the smaller, but less crowded Tuolumne Grove http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road ... -grove.htm which is very nice, but IMO the trees at the Mariposa Grove are more impressive, there you find the largest trees. Either should put you in awe if you have never seen one up close. From there you head back to San Francisco.

Have fun!
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

THANKS!

Postby Stubaan » Fri May 21, 2010 8:59 am

Really appreciate that stellar effort hotrod!

It looks as though all of the lodging within the park is already snatched up over our dates. We may have to settle for somewhere outside the park :-(

Personal favourites for accommodation outside the NP is really what I was looking for lodging advice on... I gather that there are also walk-in campsites so that might be an option for night 2, but given how busy it's going to be I don't harbour much hope for getting a spot if we only arrive in the afternoon on day 1.

I'm also a keen birder, so I'm tempted by Mono Lake for the migration which should be in full force mid August, but I have also heard that the numbers of birds have plummeted in recent years... Also quite out of the way.
Stubaan

Postby hotrod4x5 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Outside the park stay in El Portal, it is the closest to the valley. There are a couple motels there.

I love Mono Lake, but your time is very short. You'd need a week to see Yosemite and Mono Lake and surroundings. 5 days at the bare minimum.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Fri May 21, 2010 9:36 pm

a trip you might want to consider is the ferry to the conness glacier across saddlebag lake. it gets you to some good high country without too much hiking for dad. there are campsites there as well.

...and its not too far from mono lake.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:42 am

orion wrote:a trip you might want to consider is the ferry to the conness glacier across saddlebag lake. it gets you to some good high country without too much hiking for dad. there are campsites there as well.

...and its not too far from mono lake.
20 lakes basin. A very nice loop hike.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Thanks!!

Postby Stubaan » Wed May 26, 2010 2:56 am

Sorry, been AWOL for a few days but thank you again to everyone for the suggestions. I'm starting to feel like I have a handle on things. Well, at least more so than I did before your help - it's still a painfully short time in a place with so much to see.
Stubaan

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking