Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpack trip starting May 30th 4 to 5 nights

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backpack trip starting May 30th 4 to 5 nights

Postby Mr Leahey » Fri May 21, 2010 6:35 am

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but have been backpacking for years. I'm going to the Strawberry Music Festival in Groveland, which isn't too far from the valley floor. After the festival, Im planning on doing a 4 or 5 night hike. I haven't decided yet on the exact route I'm going to take. I was hoping someone here was planning on a similar hike around the same time and I could tag along, since I couldn't get any of my 'fraidy cat friends to go along with me this time. Any response/advice would be gratefully appreciated!
Mr Leahey

Postby balzaccom » Fri May 21, 2010 6:39 am

It's still pretty snowy above about 7000 feet, so that's limits your options this year. And since you are already near the nothern entrance station, you might look at Hetch-hetchy and the trip to Rancheria falls and beyond. Wapama is really roaring right now---I saw it through the clouds from an airplane yesterday.

Most of the high country will require snowshoes at that time, and Tioga Road won't be open yet, either, so you really need to look at some alternatives...or plan on hiking/camping in snow.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Mr Leahey » Fri May 21, 2010 6:46 am

balzaccom wrote:It's still pretty snowy above about 7000 feet, so that's limits your options this year. And since you are already near the nothern entrance station, you might look at Hetch-hetchy and the trip to Rancheria falls and beyond. Wapama is really roaring right now---I saw it through the clouds from an airplane yesterday.

Most of the high country will require snowshoes at that time, and Tioga Road won't be open yet, either, so you really need to look at some alternatives...or plan on hiking/camping in snow.

Thanks for the news. I see that Memorial Day Weekend is going to be a rain fest. Do you think I'll need snowshoes even for Hetch-hetchy (not sure of the elevation, that's why I'm asking). What about Stanislaus National Forest? Do you think the conditions are the same there?
Mr Leahey

Postby hotrod4x5 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:08 am

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/hetch-hetc ... -falls.htm

You'll not need snowshoes. Starting elevation 3,700 feet.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking