Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Merced Lake Trip Report?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Merced Lake Trip Report?

Postby Pack_Envy » Mon May 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Anybody have a trip report for the trails to Merced Lake via the lower trail pass Little Yosemite Valley or the high trail via the JMT? I was originally going to take a group of friends to HD and Clouds Rest for their first time during Memorial day weekend, but due to the late late late spring it looks like that won't happen.

We have the Happy Aisles to Merced Lake permits and I was thinking of camping 2 miles past LYV near Moraine Dome and then either day hiking it to Merced Lake or camping there over night. If we choose to camp at Merced Lake overnight, it will be a long day back to the valley on the last day as we are only there for 3 days.

Currently from the nps site:

"Trails out of Yosemite Valley
Little Yosemite Valley is mostly snow-free with just a few patches of snow. The trail to Cloud’s Rest is snow free up until the 7,500 ft contour and then is 100% snow covered. The trail up the Merced River is mostly clear with patchy snow until the twin bridges area, after which there is significant snow coverage."

Where exactly is the twins bridges area? For the life of me I can't find it on a map or on any guide books.

Any info appreciated! Thanks!
Pack_Envy

Postby bill-e-g » Mon May 24, 2010 3:17 pm

Look on your map where the trail crosses the Merced from
North to South just north of Bunnell Pt.
That's where the Twin Bridges are.

The trail switchbacks up I think around 500 ft. or so and that
area holds snow much longer.

Even if you only make it to Twin Bridges it is well worth it.
Two spectacular Cascades and some really nices domes
and... Bunnell... one big old piece o granite...

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking