Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Beehive and Rancheria Falls Trails

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Beehive and Rancheria Falls Trails

Postby Mr Leahey » Mon May 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Myself and Randy, my assistant trailer park supervisor, were wondering if anyone here has been in the vicinity of the Beehive and/or Rancheria Falls trails. I was told by the ranger that there are wilderness permits available for when Randy and I will be hiking. This is our first visit to Yosemite. Any current conditions information would be appreciated. :)
Mr Leahey

Postby orion » Mon May 24, 2010 4:56 pm

there are definately better places to go than beehive
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Mr Leahey » Mon May 24, 2010 5:43 pm

I was planning on 3 or 4 nights.....any suggestions as to something better than beehive?
Mr Leahey

Postby orion » Mon May 24, 2010 6:24 pm

when are you going?

your better off doing the long slog to vernon than stopping at either beehive or laurel lake. not this time of year yet - too much snow and the lakes are frozen

this is what laurel lake looks like:
http://arnica.csustan.edu/jacklin/Yosem ... cn1236.jpg

this is what the approach to vernon looks like:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11678119

you can see, the difference is the view, and the granite.

beehive is a random campsite in the forest next to a seep and swampy pond with a burnt out forest, if you're into that. it gets crowded with campers cause i don't know why, proximity to trail head or something.

if you make it to vernon, i recommend you skip the hike down to rancheria. it's just a lousy hike to another overused camping area. you'd be better off day hiking around vernon and going back the way you came in.

this guy put up a pretty thorough presentation of the hike up to vernon:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=16066

if you are going soon, stick to places under 6000', especially if its your first time. there's snow everywhere.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Mr Leahey » Mon May 24, 2010 7:03 pm

I will start my hike somewhere in Yosemite on May 31st. I'm looking to go anywhere there is a clear trail (not snowed out) for 3 or 4 nights. Thanks for the info and pics, looks amazing!
Mr Leahey

Postby orion » Mon May 24, 2010 8:19 pm

really, that's just too early for this year, with all the snow, especially if it is your first time. you could go to rancheria falls and day hike up from there. you could go to lake eleanor. you could hike up and around from the valley (others will know more of this than me.) so far i've been to eleanor and kibbie this year. kibbie was frozen over completely. i plan on biding my time til the passes open up before i head out again, probably mid-june, and even then i expect to be hiking on snow most of the time, in places i am well familiar with.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon May 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Laurel last year in April.

Probably looks about the same right now.
You quite possibly won't want to cross Frog Creek if you go now.
And you'll need a GPS or know how to really use a map and compass.

Wife doesn't want to go to Laurel again. But I think it's all frickin good.
Even crap like Cathedral Lakes you gotta hike in the forest some. Geez.

I love it all. Love to see all the areas in all the seasons. It just so
different.

Have fun wherever you go.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking