Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Snowshoes needed for hiking next week?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Snowshoes needed for hiking next week?

Postby Mr Leahey » Mon May 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Does anyone here think that it's a good idea to go through the trouble of buying snowshoes for any back country, on-trial hiking this time of year in Yosemite? Is postholing a major issue, or just a minor inconvenience. I'll be carrying 25-35 lbs. on my back.
Mr Leahey

Postby orion » Mon May 24, 2010 4:55 pm

probably no need. the snow is getting harder, but you'll probably have a posthole now and then due to brush or treefall hidden beneath the snow.

and plan your hiking for morning if you can. it was getting sloppy in the late afternoon.

also, i found that if you feel a posthole happening, if you point your toe down into it and come down on your knee you can keep from dropping down to the crotch and yanking your hips.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wawona1 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:19 pm

Another foot predicted tonight and into Thursday. Cloudy and wet here in Wawona. Still lots of snow around...
Wawona1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:58 am

I sure was glad I had mine this weekend. With the new snow
it was just gorgeous.

I like this shot. It's just SE of Styx Pass. NE of Many Island.
In the right background is Mercur Peak. It's a zoom shot.
You can see my snowshoe tracks on the saddle and then
again on the N Yosemite Border.

Just amazing out there. And incredible amount of snow still.

bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking