Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

LYV trail

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

LYV trail

Postby Wickett » Tue May 25, 2010 3:00 pm

I am taking my wife up on Thursday and I was wondering how the trail past LYV to Morraine Dome is as far as snow. The footwear is my concern, should she be in boots or more comfortable hiking shoes. I was planning on hiking shoes and taking my chances.

I know it will be snowing for the next couple of nights so I am mainly concerned with the base or lack there of.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue May 25, 2010 9:34 pm

I'd wear whatever will keep your feet dry. And bring an extra pair of socks.
If only to Moraine Dome then snow shouldn't be an issue at all.
Maybe gortex hiking shoes and short gaiters if you have them.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Pack_Envy » Thu May 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi there. Curious if you found the information that you are looking for. I'm thinking of heading to Merced Lake this weekend, i'm most likely bringing along my snowshoes considering the weather report today. Apparently snowing and raining through Friday?
Pack_Envy

Postby Wickett » Sat May 29, 2010 10:06 am

Just got back, no snow on the trail at all. My hiking shoes were adequate. It snowed Thursday night but was all melted off of the trail by noon.

Looks like the cables wont be up for quite a while yet.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking