Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

North Rim of Valley conditions and stream crossings

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

North Rim of Valley conditions and stream crossings

Postby pos315 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Anyone know the conditions on the north rim of the valley from west of El Cap to Snow Creek Trail? Are the stream crossings doable? Will this week's storm affect the above questions?
pos315
First-timer
First-timer

Postby bill-e-g » Tue May 25, 2010 9:43 pm

West of El Cap?
The big one there is Tamarack Creek. It can really get going and
you may not want to cross it. There are logs across it but depending on
things you may get stymied.
Bluejay Creek even flowing really well you should be able to cross.

Eagle Peak Meadow area will probably be a mosh pit.

Beyond there I never thought Indian Canyon Creek was an issue
but I never crossed it early... and someone said it was an issue..
Lehemite has big trees...
From the south rim it didn't look like the huge amount of snow
on the north... but I don't have first handle knowledge other than
peering over. I wouldn't worry too much and just go for it.
Other people have done it a couple weeks earlier.

It could snow another foot or more ... so yes... it would affect things.

Hope this helps.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sparky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:52 pm

This is on my list of possible hikes for my trip starting june 11th. Any up to date info on snow cover in this area will be highly appreciated!
sparky
First-timer
First-timer

Postby DanTheMan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:09 pm

We were on the west side of El Cap hiking towards U Yose Falls this last weekend. Didn't cross Tamarack Creek but ran accross a group that did and didn't mention any trouble getting accross. The N Rim Trail got snowy around 6600 ft and quickly became 100% snow covered. Lots of trail markers and footprints through Ribbon Meadow making it pretty easy to follow the trail, very moshy though. We crossed Ribbon Creek up stream from the trail accross a downed tree with no issues. Some post holing but not too bad. Trail was snow free accross El Cap gully. Snow on top of El Cap then snow free again across the east facing side. Hit 100% snow again just before the Eagle Peak spur trail. 100% snow coverage accross EP Meadows with lots of footprints zigzagging throughout. Very easy to get lost without navigation skills. LOTS of post holing through that section! Eagle Peak Creek was no issue crossing in the right spot. Couldn't tell you where we crossed since we were off trail.

Hope this helps anyone going soon. I'm sure conditions will be very different by the 11th.
DanTheMan

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking