Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Grand canyon of the tuolomne river

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Grand canyon of the tuolomne river

Postby Diesel » Thu May 27, 2010 10:06 pm

I originally Planned on doing this hike on the last weekend of June but am starting to wonder if it will be doable then (the stream crossings) given the current snow conditions and weather. On the other hand, I know a lot could happen in a month. What do you guys think ? Should I have a backup plan ready?
Last edited by Diesel on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diesel
Regular
Regular

Postby orion » Fri May 28, 2010 5:36 pm

go find out. let us know.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:52 pm

What do you know of that hike? Are you planning to go all the way to the reservoir? I read an account of this trip and from what I remember, there are a few places where the canyon is so narrow you have to swim with your packs over your head. Certainly this is a trip for late season when the water is low.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Diesel » Fri May 28, 2010 7:59 pm

I plan on starting at the white wolf trailhead, into pate valley and ending at glen aulin. I've actually never heard of anyone having to swim with their packs over their heads and I've read quite a few trip reports. In previous years I know people have been able to do this in late June and only encountered knee high water in some areas. I'm wondering if you are thinking of a different area or if the report you read was even earlier in the season
Diesel
Regular
Regular

Postby hiker97 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm

From what I've read (having never done the full GCT), the difficult crossing is Morrison Creek on the way down. I believe there is a bridge to the north side near Pate Valley and then it's all the way on the north side. I can't imagine any difficulties due to greater flows in the Waterwheel to TM stretch that I've spend many trips enjoying. The waterfalls will be fantastic, assuming you can do the crossing(s) that are more treacherous near the west end.
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sat May 29, 2010 4:31 am

Yup. Morrison, Dingley, and Delaney can be an issue for some.
IMO the early you go... the better the falls gonna be.
Go for it... and if you're swimming with your pack... I don't
know what the heck you are doing. Only place I can possibly
think of is by Wilma Lake. The Piute, if it's high is gonna be
running fast... and you best find a log.. (you're not going that
way so no worry tho)
I never have had an issue with Morrison... but... it could be
flowing nicely...
Search on this forum.. this question has come up before but
I cannot recall if the person asking said anything when they
got back or not.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:49 am

Diesel wrote:I plan on starting at the white wolf trailhead, into pate valley and ending at glen aulin. I've actually never heard of anyone having to swim with their packs over their heads and I've read quite a few trip reports. In previous years I know people have been able to do this in late June and only encountered knee high water in some areas. I'm wondering if you are thinking of a different area or if the report you read was even earlier in the season
The account I read was in a book by Galen Rowell, the well known mountaineer and photographer. He went from TM down the river, all the way to the reservoir. http://mountainlight.com/books.html The book appears to be out of print, but if you can get your hands on one used, it is a great read. Stories of skiing the White Mountain's crest, Climbing Keeler Needle next to Mt. Whitney, and of course, the aforementioned trip down the Toulumne River, and many more exciting stories.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Diesel » Sat May 29, 2010 3:05 pm

At this point I'm just going to wait and see how things look over the next few weeks, with the intention of completing the hike on that last week of June. If I find out that the w water levels are too high or rapid for safe crossings, then I'll try to get a last minute permit for another hike the same weekend. Someone suggested that Young Lakes out of toulumne would be a good plan B, so I'll keep that one in mind.
Diesel
Regular
Regular

Postby holz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:08 am

Hiya,

I did that exact trip last year the first week in June. There were no problems with any stream crossings at all. As Bill said (by the way, Bill knows all, listen to him!) if you are swimming with your pack over your head, not only are you doing something wrong, but you are one heck of a strong swimmer!

Couple of points. First, the trip down to Pate Valley is far and away the hardest part of the trip IMO. We actually broke it into two days, but it is certainly doable in one. It is a huge elevation drop. The trail (as most are in Yosemite) is well maintained, but in steep places they like to fit rocks together mostly so horses don't wear the trail and to prevent erosion. Those stupid rocks are a real pain to walk on. You'll see what I mean. :)

Next, absolutely go early in the year. I've also done GA --> Matterhorn --> Rogers Lake --> Pate Valley --> GA. I did that trip in early August. The GCOT is far and away at its best in late May/early June.

I can't recommend the trip you have planned enough. You'll love it and especially at the time of year you are considering.

Enjoy!
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Diesel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks, holz. That's very encouraging - I'm even more excited about the trip now! We plan on completing the hike in 3 days, so we'll do the entire descent from white wolf into pate valley on that first day. Where would you recommend setting up camp? I know the first night would be somewhere in pate valley, but I haven't thought about it beyond that.
Diesel
Regular
Regular

Postby jscholz » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:04 pm

I have a permit for entering on July 24 and exiting July 27 to go from White Wolf to Pate Valley- Glen Aulin and finish at Tuolomme Meadows.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip at the end of June.
jscholz
First-timer
First-timer

Postby holz » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:11 am

Pate Valley is an obvious choice.

After that it isn't quite so straight forward.

I'd consider finding a random camp somewhere by one of the big falls about 1-3 miles before Glen Aulin.

Keep your eyes open as for a good one (if you can take your eyes off the falls!) and just stop where it suits you. Make it a shorter day and spend the balance just hanging out by the falls.

It is a pretty easy day out even all the way from waterwheel to the road. Once you get past the 800ft of up just past GA, it is a nice flat walk through a meadow to the road.
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Diesel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks, camping near one of the waterfalls sounds like a good plan.
Diesel
Regular
Regular

Postby Sierrasteve » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:15 pm

I have a permit for the hike one day before you. Very concerned that water will be an issue. with current conditions and the weather starting to warm up do y'all think this trip will be possible?
Sierrasteve

Postby holz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:11 am

I'd think you'd be fine by the end of June. In fact, the high water will likely make it that much better.
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking