Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

overnight in toulumne meadows

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

overnight in toulumne meadows

Postby betsylwhs » Sun May 30, 2010 11:46 am

I'm traveling to mammoth lakes for an 8 day trip, and wanted to spend the night before my trip in toulumne meadows campground. All the on-line reservations are taken, so what do you think the odds are that one of the first come first served sights would be available at about 5:00 pm on a wed. in the middle of july? If not, any other ideas? And what is a good 1/2 day hike for the morning?

Thanks much!
betsylwhs

Postby AlmostThere » Sun May 30, 2010 1:40 pm

It's a roll of the dice - that late in the afternoon typically you'd be out of luck, but stranger things have happened and you might be able to grab a cancelled spot.

If not, you could have campgrounds outside the park on the east side of the pass as a backup plan - there's five campgrounds in Inyo NF.

http://jrabold.net/yosemite/campn.shtml
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:16 pm

A great half day hike in TM is up to Dog Lake, then back around to the top of Lembert Dome, a semi loop.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Mon May 31, 2010 5:58 am

If you're good, strong hikers the trail to White Cascade (Glen Aulin HSC) should be doable as a half day hike. It is about 12 miles round trip. Should take strong hikers about 4 hours. One of my favorite hikes in the park.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking