Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Biking Tioga Pass

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Biking Tioga Pass

Postby DTOlness » Mon May 31, 2010 10:54 am

Can anyone give any details of biking Tioga Pass. I see it is open to bikes up till Olmstead Point. I was hoping to do it next week but never have and wanted to get some details from those who've done it previously. Where can the car be parked?
DTOlness
Regular
Regular

Postby hotrod4x5 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:25 pm

There are lots of trailheads all along Tioga where you could park. But Tioga isn't open yet, is it?
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby DTOlness » Mon May 31, 2010 8:40 pm

I know it is not open but this is from the Yosemite website:

May 29, 2010

Tioga Road:
The Tioga Road will not be open for Memorial Day weekend; there is no estimated opening date.

Bicyclists may travel on the Tioga Road from Crane Flat to Olmsted Point (but not to Tuolumne Meadows).

___

Then I saw this posting here:

http://yosemitenaturenotes.blogspot.com ... -road.html
DTOlness
Regular
Regular

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:37 am

Hey that's very cool for cyclists! I would love to do that. I saw your post on that guy's blog, hopefully he'll answer you. For parking, I'm guessing Toulumne Grove, or probably the Crane Flat gas station, as long as you are out of the way of customers.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:18 am

Without knowing your cycling experience, it's hard to make a recommendation about this, but I will second the idea if you can ride this road without traffic. It's not brutally steep---in fact, I think the steepest section is just before Olmstead Point. If you've done Mt Diablo or some of the steeper roads in the Bay Area, you won't find the grades on Tioga difficult.

You may find it hard to find oxygen at those elevations, but I assume you know that this is all above 6,000 feet or so...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wawona1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Heard on my radio that they may open it Friday...
Wawona1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking