Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Best areas right now

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Best areas right now

Postby hike-n-brew » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:02 am

Is now really a good time to go backpacking in Yosemite?
-If so, what areas do you folks think have the best conditions at this point in the season? And what would you recommend to a Yosemite novice (but a fairly experienced backpacker)?

Are there other sierra destinations with better conditions right now?

I'm planning a trip of variable length in about a week and have no clue yet where I will go! Any help much appreciated.
hike-n-brew
First-timer
First-timer

Highway 4/Alpine Lake Area

Postby KC » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 am

I was just in the Lake Alpine area on highway 4 a week-and-a-half ago for work and there was still considerable snow cover. Obviously nowhere near as bad as a month prior, but it was still a few inches near the highway shoulder (where it's exposed) and much deeper in the forest itself.

I feel your pain because I've been looking for a weekend out but it's just difficult to go anywhere if you don't have the snow gear. Yesterday I called the Mendocino Ranger station for Snow Mountain Wilderness and the ranger told me to give another week or two. There's always the coast, like Butano State Park, Point Reyes, or Big Trees, but they are always crowded this time of year.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking