Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpacking 6/12 Sunrise lakes advice

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backpacking 6/12 Sunrise lakes advice

Postby Backpackerproject » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:30 am

We have a backpacking permit but are afraid it won´t be possible to do that hike, though Tioga Pass will be opened next weekend, don´t know if we could park our car at the trailhead or Tuolumne meadows or set out our tent over the snow...any tips? Perhaps we should cancel our permit.

Thanks in advance!
Backpackerproject

Tioga Road

Postby ceeps » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:14 am

Tioga Road is suppose to open June 5th, so as far as the road you should be alright. But I have no idea about the trails except to say be prepared for a lot of snow.
ceeps

Re: Tioga Road

Postby Backpackerproject » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:23 pm

ceeps wrote:Tioga Road is suppose to open June 5th, so as far as the road you should be alright. But I have no idea about the trails except to say be prepared for a lot of snow.

That´s my concern, the trails and the parking availability...at least we are ready for the alternative plan.
Backpackerproject

Re: Backpacking 6/12 Sunrise lakes advice

Postby orienteering » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Backpackerproject wrote:We have a backpacking permit but are afraid it won´t be possible to do that hike, though Tioga Pass will be opened next weekend, don´t know if we could park our car at the trailhead or Tuolumne meadows or set out our tent over the snow...any tips? Perhaps we should cancel our permit.

Thanks in advance!

We are in exactly the same situation. We intend to start on 6/12 from Sunrise over Clouds Rest and arrive on 6/14 in Yosemite Valley after camping on 6/12 before Clouds Rest and on 6/13 in LYV . Any advice on gear and feasibility?
orienteering
Regular
Regular

Re: Backpacking 6/12 Sunrise lakes advice

Postby cjoz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Backpackerproject wrote:We have a backpacking permit but are afraid it won´t be possible to do that hike, though Tioga Pass will be opened next weekend, don´t know if we could park our car at the trailhead or Tuolumne meadows or set out our tent over the snow...any tips? Perhaps we should cancel our permit.

Thanks in advance!

I've been watching too for a trip over Sunrise/Clouds Rest/HD/Cathedral Lakes starting June 23. I've been checking the "Current Conditions" on the Yosemite NPS site daily and also various posts on this forum and yosemitenews dot info.

From what I've read, you'll be able to park at the trailheads. Camping the night before may be a problem because none of the campsites along Tioga Road are going to be open until probably July. That includes the backpacker's camp at Tuolumne Meadows (you can try to squat but don't be surprised if you get booted). Nearest options are Hodgdons Meadow (regular camp) or Hetch Hetchy (backpackers camp), both near the Oak Flat entrance. Otherwise, you have to go down to the valley.

As far as trail conditions go, "In general, snow will be present on trails above 6,000-7,000 feet depending on the aspect." Trails out of Tuolumne Meadows and Tioga Road are described as follows: "On most, if not all trails, expect 100% snow coverage immediately from the trailhead."

Might not be ideal, but should be doable. Hope you make it out there and post a report w/ some good intel!
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby S-Photog » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:49 am

I too will be entering at the Sunrise Lakes trailhead June 20th and headed down Sunrise past Clouds Rest to Echo Valley and then Merced Lake. In a recent call to the ranger (Monday June 7) he told me to be prepared for a fairly epic (wide and cold, thigh deep) stream crossing right at the start of the trail from the mouth of Tenaya Lake. If you're curious about exactly how much snow is up there beyond 100% coverage, check out CA Water Resources Board, which monitors a few spots in Yosemite, one of then Tenaya.

(cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=8245&end=&geom=&interval=&cookies=)I have to break up this URL because this is my first post.

This shows water content within the snow from a satellite, actual snow coverage is 1.5-2x the number presented here. As you can see the level of snow has sharply fallen off since the warm weather hit this weekend...
S-Photog

Postby cjoz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:45 pm

S-Photog wrote:I too will be entering at the Sunrise Lakes trailhead June 20th and headed down Sunrise past Clouds Rest to Echo Valley and then Merced Lake. In a recent call to the ranger (Monday June 7) he told me to be prepared for a fairly epic (wide and cold, thigh deep) stream crossing right at the start of the trail from the mouth of Tenaya Lake. If you're curious about exactly how much snow is up there beyond 100% coverage, check out CA Water Resources Board, which monitors a few spots in Yosemite, one of then Tenaya.

(cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=8245&end=&geom=&interval=&cookies=)I have to break up this URL because this is my first post.

This shows water content within the snow from a satellite, actual snow coverage is 1.5-2x the number presented here. As you can see the level of snow has sharply fallen off since the warm weather hit this weekend...

Good info. I saw a shot of the Tenaya outlet crossing from 2006 when there were similar late snow conditions and they had like 36" of cold, deep water to cross. The steps/switchbacks up to Sunrise were also running like rivers. I have read, however, that you can avoid the initial underwear-soaking by crossing at the Tenaya inlet (i.e., east side) and then hiking along the back side of Tenaya. I driving up the day before our permit entry date and plan to "investigorate" the options before I have to make a decision w/ a pack on my back.
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:48 pm

cjoz, the crossing is soooo close to the TH.

Heck, if I can remember I'm gonna check it out this Friday.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby S-Photog » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:22 pm

I'll definitely be looking forward to your reports guys and altering my plan accordingly. ITs so great to be connected to people who can scope conditions so I know what to expect and whether I need to bring the crampons.
S-Photog

Postby orienteering » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 am

S-Photog wrote:I'll definitely be looking forward to your reports guys and altering my plan accordingly. ITs so great to be connected to people who can scope conditions so I know what to expect and whether I need to bring the crampons.

We just returned home from a wonderful trip from Sunrise via Clouds Rest to Happy Isles. We started at Tenaya Lake by wading through hip deep water trying to dodge the floating ice chunks that came from the lake. We actually did a test run on Friday without packs before we made the decision to start our hike on Saturday morning as planned. The hike up to Sunrise Lakes was beautiful. The snow was compacted and relatively easy to walk on (no snowhsoes needed). We postholed only a couple of times. The ground was covered with snow all the way up to Clouds Rest. So it is necessary that you can navigate the terrain without any visible trail. We camped near the little pond below Clouds Rest and took our time in the morning to give the snow time to soften. We didn't need crampons, walked up and had lunch on Clouds Rest with an incredible 360 view. Down to the valley the snow is almost completely gone and it was like a different world walking down to LYV and then YV.
So for us gaiters, hiking poles, good sleeping bag and GPS (with map and compass as backup) were the necessary equipment for an enjoyable trip at this time.
orienteering
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:48 am

Sweet! Checked out the crossing too on Friday before heading to
Glen Aulin/ GCT.
Everyone and their brother is bailing due to huge snow... there was
one car at Sunrise Friday morning... and snow halfway up the door
at the outhouse.
The ice on the lake was almost entirely gone by Monday though.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ariarias » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks for the report.
I'm planning on a 2 day trip from the Sunrise Lakes Trailhead on the 26th
ariarias

Postby RR1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:50 am

Great trip report orienteering - it gives me the info I need to hit the trail this weekend. I will bring map/compass/gps and plenty of dry underwear after that crossing... Thanks for the info.
RR1

Postby holz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:23 am

Great report!

Is it easy for one to leave from LYV, summit Clouds Rest and return in a day hike? I have some folks with me that wouldn't much enjoy the trip up half dome and this seems like a reasonable alternative. Any problems with snow along the way? Any ideas if we were to do it as a day trip from Merced Lake?

Thanks!
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby orienteering » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:56 am

holz wrote:Great report!

Is it easy for one to leave from LYV, summit Clouds Rest and return in a day hike? I have some folks with me that wouldn't much enjoy the trip up half dome and this seems like a reasonable alternative. Any problems with snow along the way? Any ideas if we were to do it as a day trip from Merced Lake?

Thanks!

Yes, that is easy to do. There are some patches of snow on the last mile that are easy ot navigate. It is a 6 miles hike with 3800 feet of climb. So you are looking at a 12 mile round trip. I have been on both, Half Dome and Clouds Rest. and prefer Clouds Rest any time. You get an incredible 360 view from there, which you won't have from Half Dome. It is an easy walk up to the top (when coming from LYV -- the ridge from the other side is not for everyone) and you don't need to deal with the crowds in the cable. So bring your folks up there, bring good binoculars, watch the people in the cables getting up Half Dome and the congratulate yourself for going up Clouds Rest instead of Half Dome.
orienteering
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking