Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpacking 6/12 Sunrise lakes advice

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby orienteering » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:58 am

holz wrote:Great report!

Is it easy for one to leave from LYV, summit Clouds Rest and return in a day hike? I have some folks with me that wouldn't much enjoy the trip up half dome and this seems like a reasonable alternative. Any problems with snow along the way? Any ideas if we were to do it as a day trip from Merced Lake?

Thanks!

My son posted some pictures on his website http://daniels-eagle-scout-project.webs.com

Go to the bottom of "Preparation Hikes" under "Hiking the JMT" to see them. The first one will show you the need for extra underwear :D
You will also see the snow condition on the way up.

Enjoy your hike this weekend.
orienteering
Regular
Regular

Postby RR1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:30 pm

I almost hate to ask, but I just gotta know... How were the mosquitoes?
RR1

Postby orienteering » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:41 pm

RR1 wrote:I almost hate to ask, but I just gotta know... How were the mosquitoes?

From Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest there were no mosquitoes. On the way down we camped at the intersection with the JMT near a creek where we fished for trout. There mosquitoes were present, but not yet in big numbers. We would just put on long clothes and from time to time kill one that landed on the hand or face. I got bitten once and no one got bitten more than three times.
orienteering
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Very cool. Have fun on the JMT.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orienteering » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:48 pm

bill-e-g wrote:Very cool. Have fun on the JMT.

Thanks. I thought so too and are proud of him. It will be fun to go with my sons on the JMT. His brother and my wife will accompany him to Reds Meadow. I will go all the way. If it is anything like the last three days, it will be fantastic.
orienteering
Regular
Regular

Postby S-Photog » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks for the trip report orienteering!

Did you guys look at the possibility of going around the east/south side of Tenaya Lake and cross at the inlet to avoid that deep crossing?

Go go gaiters for sure, might bring the crampons just in case I get any crazy ideas to go higher at Sunrise and save clouds rest for a dayhike from the southside, snow is only going to posthole more as the weather increases with 100% coverage.

Thanks again!
S-Photog

Postby orienteering » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:27 pm

S-Photog wrote:Thanks for the trip report orienteering!

Did you guys look at the possibility of going around the east/south side of Tenaya Lake and cross at the inlet to avoid that deep crossing?

Go go gaiters for sure, might bring the crampons just in case I get any crazy ideas to go higher at Sunrise and save clouds rest for a dayhike from the southside, snow is only going to posthole more as the weather increases with 100% coverage.

Thanks again!

Yes, we were aware of the option to cross at the inlet. When we arrived at Yosemite Valley on Friday afternoon, we went up to Tenaya Lake to check it out. Our first stop was at the outlet. After a brief visual inspection we crossed without backpacks. It worked fine and we didn't check the inlet. Keep in mind that we had two teenagers in our group who are preparing for the JMT. For them, crossing the outlet was a fun challenge that added to the experience.
orienteering
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking