Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Plan B for half dome cables

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Plan B for half dome cables

Postby naz223 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:29 am

So my father and I have been planning a backpacking trip from glacier point to the summit of half dome, there are six of us going, we hike in to Little Yosemite Valley, set up camp, do half dome on the second day, then hike back the third day. For my dad and I it will be the second time, for everyone else, the first. We had the trip planned for 6/14-6/17. it would appear the cables will probably not be up in time. :( there is NO WAY to change the dates. So we need a plan B. We have a site at Wawona reserved for 6/14. We need to find another 3 day trip in that area or from little Yosemite valley. any ideas?
naz223

Postby bill-e-g » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:13 am

Uh... wha?

I never get this one. I guess people just don't realize how
spectacular the REST of the Merced River Canyon is all the
way to Merced Lake.

Pretty simple. Skip the dome... and dayhike to Merced Lake
and back on day 2.

After you do that please post what you thought.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:22 am

Definitely go up the Merced...
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby naz223 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:27 am

Do you know the distance from Little Yosemite Valley and Merced lake? It looks like a bit of a stretch to go up and back in one day.
naz223

Postby naz223 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:28 am

naz223 wrote:Do you know the distance from Little Yosemite Valley and Merced lake? It looks like a bit of a stretch to go up and back in one day.

although, I was interested in doing that to begin with
naz223

About 14 Miles from Merced Lake back to Happy Isles

Postby KC » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:09 pm

It's about 14 miles from Merced Lake to Happy Isles. It's doable though because it's mostly downhill. I did it a few years ago when I did Red Peak Pass (only had 5 days). It'll be a long day but nice. Some of it is what I like to think of as "annoying hiking"--hiking through sand, mud, etc. In this case, it's the sand that you'll get tired of. But it's great nevertheless.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:13 pm

The sand isn't all stirred up by the horses yet, I was pleased on my trip last week.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Merced to Glacier Point

Postby KC » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:26 pm

In my reply above, I forgot to note that it's actually a little farther (maybe a mile or so) to go from Merced to Glacier Point than it is Merced to Happy Isles. I started the Red Peak Pass loop at Glacier Point, but went down the John Muir Trail because I wasn't paying attention on my last day. But I was shooting for Glacier and it can be done in a day from Merced. A long day, but a day nevertheless.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:10 pm

LYV to Merced Lake is 7.5 miles.

If 15 is too much then just turn around anytime.
I'd recommend at least go a little beyoned the twin bridges below Bunnell.
By then you've gone by 2 cascades. The unnamed one by
Morraine Dome and the Bunnell Cascade further upstream.
And also gone by some great granite cliffs (Bunnell) and
the "Top Hat Dome". The dome by the first cascade.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Pack_Envy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:15 am

I'm not exactly sure why people choose to camp at lyv when heading to Merced Lake the following day. About two easy flat miles past lyv is an awesome primitive camp site near Moraine Dome. No bear boxes but since you'll typically have a bear canister with you, you will be ok. A lot more solitude and possibly your own fire ring rather than a communal one.

Anyways last weekend we did the hike to Merced Lake for the first time and can attest to its beauty. There is a large snow field right after twin bridges but definitely doable. I would suspect with the warm weather this weekend and summer swinging into full effect that it should be gone in the next couple of weeks. When you get to the junction at Echo valley its a bit swampy and muddy for about the first quarter mile towards the lake.
Pack_Envy

Postby bill-e-g » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:49 am

Hey Pack_Envy.

Maybe you'll get a kick outta this. Here's the spot after Twin Bridges
in April this year. There was a big avalanche right at the bridges
that was quite interesting too. Yup. I've never camped at LYV
and don't ever plan to. But... many people like being around that
many people.

bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Plan B for half dome cables

Postby cjoz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:43 pm

naz223 wrote:So my father and I have been planning a backpacking trip from glacier point to the summit of half dome, there are six of us going, we hike in to Little Yosemite Valley, set up camp, do half dome on the second day, then hike back the third day. For my dad and I it will be the second time, for everyone else, the first. We had the trip planned for 6/14-6/17. it would appear the cables will probably not be up in time. :( there is NO WAY to change the dates. So we need a plan B. We have a site at Wawona reserved for 6/14. We need to find another 3 day trip in that area or from little Yosemite valley. any ideas?

You're in luck. NPS site says cables will be up 6/16 (conditions permitting). Still lots of snow on the subdome, so be careful.
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking