Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Interesting Blog Entry

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Interesting Blog Entry

Postby DTOlness » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:58 pm

Thought you guys might find this blog post I read interesting:

http://yexplore.com/yeblog/?p=1334
DTOlness
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:26 pm

I see it there about half of the time I go to Lower Yosemite Falls. It always draws a crowd, I think it loves the attention. :D
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby DTOlness » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:37 pm

That is amazing. I'm going to have to be more watchful next time I go. It is such a beautiful animal. To be honest, I wasn't even aware they were in the park:) Have you seen them elsewhere in the park?
DTOlness
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:34 pm

I've only ever seen a cat on Aspen Valley Road.

I'd put up the picture but it's pretty pathetic.
It jammed once it saw me trying to takes its' picture.

On same trip saw a bear right near the top of Bald Mtn.
(I only mention this cause that picture sux'ed too)
(Bear jammed too... I think he said WTF is anyone doing up HERE!?)

Why can't these animals just stop and wait until I say it's ok to move?
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:12 pm

I also saw a coyote that was big enough to be a wolf. I am from Alaska and have seen my share of Wolves and I had to do a double take on the size of the Coyote. Unfortunately I did not have my camera on me at the time, just like most of the time when an amazing critter come out in the open...
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:18 am

That is very cool, I have been to the lower falls probably 6-10 times and never seen him, I will have to be more observant. The coyotes in Yosemite are very large, I agree. I got this shot on the south side drive, near the parking lot for Gates of the Valley. (bigstock watermark is because I have this image for sale on that stock website)

hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:50 am

Saw this little guy right near the top of Cold Mountain.

bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:52 am

When I was going up the Merced I thought (can't be 100% sure) I saw a Mountain Lion in the distance up high. It was looming around an overhang and then descended. I was pretty fluid in its movements which makes me think it was one. It was right at dusk so visibility was limited.

I really would love to get a good picture (from a safe distance of course) of a Mountain Lion in Yosemite.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wawona1 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Plenty of coyotes digging in the trash over here...
Wawona1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby sierranomad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:01 pm

I've heard before of the bobcat sightings at Lower Yosemite Falls. I've been there too many times to count and never seen it.

A couple years back my wife saw a pair of bobcats at "The Fen" near Happy Isles. She said they were not bothered by the people at all. I went back several times over the rest of our stay to see if I could come across them, but never did.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:41 am

I haven't seen the ones in the Fen yet. I will look for them next time.

Since this has digressed into animal sightings, has anyone come across the big old 20 year old male bears that knows how to open bear lockers? I did last summer and I was surprised how big he was. He was kind enough to charge me (bluff charge), so I jumped over the campfire. He had some dogfood which the person next to me left out, which I didn't realize.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking