Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Trail Cond- Ten Lakes

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Trail Cond- Ten Lakes

Postby MacFamily » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Any information on trail conditions for Ten Lakes would be greatly appreciated. I planned a trip with my 6 year old daughter for 6/30-7/2 and I'm a bit worried about the snow/water. Current photos would be awesome if you're able. Thanks in advance!
MacFamily

Postby orion » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:51 am

You probably will want to reconsider, given the snow levels. I haven't been there yet this year, but I have been there above snowline.

If you head in from the Yosemite Creek trailhead, you'll likely get turned around just before the Grant Lakes trail turnoff, where it becomes steep, deeply forested, and the trail is covered in snow, and above which will be a snowfield to x-country to snowy lakes, with the only camping on exposed outcroppings above the lakes.

Give it a few more weeks or opt for plan b.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Ten Lakes - 6/30-7/2

Postby MacFamily » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 am

You mentioned that it would be snowed in, to give it a few weeks. Do you mean give it a few weeks from now or from when we are planning to start our trip 6/30-7/2?

Thank you,
MacFamily
MacFamily

Postby orion » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 pm

...a few weeks from your trip, at least, probably more.

Those lakes are in a sort of bowl on the north side of the mountain, so they melt slower, and that shady draw leading up to Grant Lakes turn-off starts at 9000', so I'm guessing a snowline above 9500' would be a good idea. That may sound like a ridiculously high snowline to wait for, and then you see it and it makes sense. Right now the snowline is pegged around 7000'.

You could go earlier, but those lakes kinda lose their point with all the snow. You'll be getting your drinking water from streams anyway, and won't want to approach the half-melted shoreline with ice overhangs and hidden ponds you could posthole into. I camped on the exposed ridge to the east of the lakes, with snowfields running down both sides. It would have been pretty miserable if the weather turned. When I came down the draw there were dozens of footprints of those who had turned back.

Maybe try Jack Main Canyon instead, starting from Hetch Hetchy. Wherever the snowline will be, there is something cool to see from Lake Vernon on.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:13 pm

oh man, i just reread your first post. with a six year old daughter no way. not Jack Main either. Maybe try Kibbie or Eleanor at most.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking