Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Erratics from our blog

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Erratics from our blog

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 pm

There is something really wonderful about walking through the Sierra and coming face to face with a massive boulder that looks as if it has been delicately placed there by the hand of God. The one in this photo was on top of a bare granite ridge overlooking Spicer Reservoir, and is about ten feet in diameter. I can't imagine how much it must weigh.

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackth ... g?offset=0

You might think that it had rolled here from somewhere else---but there's nowhere else to roll from. It was on top of the ridge--and it was all downhill from there. Nope, it was dropped on top of the ridge by a glacier that picked it up miles away and carried it this far. And when the glacier finally melted, this massive boulder was let down easy--delicately balanced on top of the ridge for all eternity--or least the foreseeable future.

The name for these rocks is "erratics," meaning that they don't always make sense in relationship to their surroundings. Sometime they are of a complete different geologic make-up, and only the slow glacial train can account for their location.

But I also think of them as iconoclasts--a bit like us backpackers. We often march to a slighlty different drumbeat, and find ourselves where few have ever gone before. Or at least we like to think of ourselves that way. And much like the glaciers, we aren't exactly speed demons. With the speed at which we hike, it takes us a long time to get anywhere, too.

So we hike for hours, cover a few miles, and the sit down on top of a ridge, or along a stream, and rest for a while.

Just call us erratics.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:43 pm

hey, great pic and writing!

i remember the first moment i became aware of the erratics and where they come from. suddenly everything opens up as if you'd been blind before.

here's one of my favorite buddies
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/13944125
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Nice!

What's the lake?
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:03 am

that's right above hyatt lake in emigrant.

and there's this one reposing in cherry creek canyon:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/26166530
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Hah! Shades of Easter Island!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking