Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mist Trail or 4-mile

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mist Trail or 4-mile

Postby mikecain3 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:12 pm

I need help in choosing between two different day hikes. I'm taking my wife and kids (college age) next week. (Midweek) We have a full day that is available and I wanted it to be moderate and filled with classic valley features. By moderate I mean something in the 3 or 5 hour range and nothing too hard. I am torn between doing the mist trail and maybe jmt back down or else the 4-mile. The problem with the 4 mile is that we will need to all catch the GP bus and start high. So we are spending precious time traveling to GP and paying for 6 one way tickets. Of course I am the bank so 6 tickets gets pricey. I could drive my car to GP and have only one person travel back to GP on a one way bus ride but the last bus leaves the valley around 2pm and I don't want to have time pressure. I"m leaning towards mist trail because of the car shuttle.

If you had to pick one which would it be.
mikecain3
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Wickett » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:08 pm

If I had to pick one it would be the Mist all the way up to Nevada then JMT down. Make sure you admire the views going down the JMT, you can see Yosemite Falls in the distance from some spots.

Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:03 pm

Mist trail hands down. I never tire of that trail, have done it half a dozen times, and never done the 4mile trail.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Mist Trail or 4-mile

Postby dan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:27 pm

MIST TRAIL!

I've done both, and maybe after you done the Mist Trail a few times and are curious what the JMT (Mule) Trail is like, try it. JMT is hot and dusty, although it has higher views along the way. But definitely start out with the Mist Trail.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:13 am

Mist
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Vlado » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:54 am

Mist
Vlado
Regular
Regular

Postby holz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:16 am

How exposed is the mist trail?
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby cjoz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:19 am

I've never done 4 mile trail but I too am partial to the Mist Trail. Be aware, however, that there are very steep, wet and slippery sections and the elevation change from Happy Isles to top of Nevada is about 2000ft.

I only mention that because you say you want something moderate. 3-5 hours should be enough but it's not an "easy" hike. Start early to avoid the crowds.
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:37 am

The Mist trail isn't really exposed by my definition of the word. The steps aren't really next to the edge and I never felt in danger of falling. Slipping, yes, but not slipping and falling over the side.

As far as the distance and time, there is nothing wrong with stopping at the top of Vernal and not going any further. If you just want a 3-5 hour hike, in fact, this is what I recommend. Attain the top of Vernal, lay out on the slabs to dry off and eat lunch (don't feed the squirrels please) and just enjoy the scenery for an hour or so, then hike back down. I prefer to go down the Mist trail again.

I've done that hike many times, in fact, the only time I have been to the top of Nevada is on the way down from Glacier via the Panorama trail.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mikecain3 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:54 am

Mist it is! That made the decision easy. Thanks for the help.
mikecain3
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby baseline bum » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:10 am

In early season Vernal is the more impressive falls IMO, so don't feel like you have to go all the way to Nevada. Don't get me wrong: Nevada is pretty amazing when the Merced is going nuts, but the experience of hiking through the mist next to Vernal and the view looking down on the dead tree from the top of Vernal are the stars of the Mist Trail in the early season (IMO again). I also don't remember Nevada having much in the way of shade going up the pretty steep switchbacks on the Mist Trail.
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby baseline bum » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:20 am

Oh, and don't let your kids go in the Emerald Pool under any circumstance unless you want to them have a really exciting but very short life. I can't believe some of my friends like going in that (in the late season though; they're not complete morons I guess :lol:).
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:28 am

Good point about Emerald Pool, which, in case anyone is unfamiliar, is the calm looking section of the Merced at the top of Vernal Fall. The "Mist" Trail beyond Vernal isn't really misty and yes, there is no shade.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Chris P » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:05 pm

We did both the 4-Mile Trail (on June 14th) and the Mist Trail (on June 15th) last week. While the 4-Mile Trail is one that should be done by all Yosemite visitors, the Mist Trail is far superior if you must pick one.

There was a big sign that said "Emerald Pool Closed"...but there was so much turbulence in that area nobody in their right mind would have gone in there regardless of the sign. The trail was VERY crowded for a Tuesday......lots of folks in flip flops that should not have been there...but it's Yosemite in June...so what are you going to do!

We hiked Lembert Dome on June 16th, and there was so much flooding and snow on the northeast side we could barely find the trail. Not that it's hard....the trail rounds the dome....but it was still kinda surprising how much snow we encountered. Dog Lake was well worth the jaunt though! Gorgeous right now...there was nobody up there but us! Quite the far cry from the valley trails.
Chris P
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking