Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Just Back From Glen Aulin/LeConte Falls

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Just Back From Glen Aulin/LeConte Falls

Postby Grzldvt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 pm

Just got back from Glen Aulin/LeConte Falls.

Many THANKS to Bill-e-g and wife, who stumbled across us, for their valuable information.
On Sunday we took the camp workers trail in and had anywhere from zero to six feet of snow and had to muddle through some pretty swampy terrain. Based on reports we felt there was a high risk in a couple of spots so we went also looking for a high X-country route that would drop us down onto Twin Bridges. That effort not only proved to be futile, but also exhausted us. We rolled the dice, dropped down, and found the areas of our biggest concern were no issue at all.
On Monday we ventured down to LeConte. The left side of Twin Bridges was just barely under water and definitely passable.
We had spotty snow down to Glen Aulin and no snow from Glen Aulin to LeConte Falls.
The swamp area was submerged. We had already planned on following the trail and use old running shoes to simply plow through the water, past the rocks and onto dry land. That was a good plan as that area had many of the log bridges missing. The water had been higher and simply picked up many of the logs and floated them away. Many are still there but not connected. You may have been able to get through by going all the way to the back wall and trying to pick your way through it, but I doubt it. In the AM it was about mid calf in height on average.
Spent most of the day at LeConte, 200 pics and 15 videos.
On the way back up, the water on the river was definitely higher than in the morning, and the swamp area was much higher. Now it was mid thigh height.
Anyone trying to get to or leave the Glen Aulin BP camp was walking through a good three feet of powerful rushing water from Cold Creek and rising.
On the way out this morning the water was at least another foot higher.
I cannot imagine how difficult the 5 creek crossing are on the Glen Aulin trail at this point. Especially the first one with the BIG Tree now gone.
I would just be prepared to blast though them and not waste time trying dance around them.
Twin Bridges, I would say is still passable but barely, plan on knee deep or slightly higher. The higher volume of water was coming in at Glen Aulin or lower.
Based on the amount of snow we saw, high water is going to be good for at least another week.
It was a total blast and the best I have seen LeConte Falls running, and I have been doing this trip for many years.
Steve
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby holz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for the report!

As you have probably seen from previous posts, I am planning on heading in with a group of 6, 3 newbies and 3 very experienced folks. 2 of the newbies are young teens. I feel all are willing to endure the adversity and heck it is only 5 miles. . .

We are all carrying sport sandals with the thought that river crossings will be required.

Here is what I read in your post. . .

The main trail is passable, but do it as early as possible and rather than try to find a clever way, simply walk through the water as long as it safe.

Twin bridges were slightly covered, but probably get worse as the day goes on.

The bridge to GA is passable in the early morning, but will get harder and harder as the day goes on.

So, here's my plan. . .

Start at first light, take main trail, get wet, see the true beauty of Yosemite at its peak!

Sounds like a really cool trip.
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:04 pm

holz,
he actually said
"I cannot imagine how difficult the 5 creek crossing are on the Glen Aulin trail at this point. Especially the first one with the BIG Tree now gone.
I would just be prepared to blast though them and not waste time trying dance around them. "

(he took the west side in... which is why we ran into him)

I put some photos together with captions. If you go via pothole instead
of the "real" "workers" trail to the postpile you can stay out of the
swampy areas mostly...
If you look at the first map you'll see us on the little domes on the
way in...
Hope these help some in your decision...

Enjoy:
http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.ch ... GCTuolumne
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:34 pm

holz,
You have it.... Going in on the main trail, you will be fine, as long as you plan on plowing through the creek crossings, instead of trying to find away over them.
In Bill-e-g pics, when we returned from LeConte, for instance pic # 9, we had the beach on the way out, on the return trip the water completely covered it.
Bill's #16 shot, we had the water over the little breakwall
Bill's #18 shot, the water was well over the top of the trail sides by at least 6 inches.
Nice shots Bill!!!
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby S-Photog » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:03 am

Bill from a fellow Yosemite photographer some of your photos are magnificent in that album. It also gave me a great idea of conditions, the water looks great. Thanks!
S-Photog

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:17 am

Much appreciated.

Steve, did you come out the main trail?

Holz, last comment on the subject...

Supposedly... the river runoff from snowmelt will be decreasing in
the upcoming days... at least that is what I see from the forecasts...
Found here:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/rivforecasts.html

I suspect that the logs and driftwood all ended up on the trails
on 6/7-6/8 which looks like it was the high water day.

Have a great trip
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby holz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:15 am

What were the low temps when you were there? Was it below freezing @ GA?
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:36 pm

It got down to maybe 40. Still chilly.
I used a 25 bag. I told my wife that I was switching to 30 until
October. The 25 was too warm on the first two nights.

That being said we both had Marmot Zeus type jackets. It
was chilly out of the sun. During the day we were playing Lizard.
Go into the sun to get warm... then relax in the shade... repeat.

For both of us it was nice to be able to sit outside out of our
sleeping bags to eat dinner for a change.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby DTOlness » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:36 am

Amazing pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. Yosemite always amazes:)
DTOlness
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking