Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Sunrise Lakes Logistics Question

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Sunrise Lakes Logistics Question

Postby ariarias » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:08 am

I have a bit of a problem

I plan on hiking to the valley with my girlfriend from Sunrise Lakes on the 26-28 of this month, and I'm not sure how I'm going to get back to Sunrise my car

The YARTS Bus doesn't run during the week until 7/1

The Tuolumne meadows shuttle bus hasn't started running yet, and they don't have a scheduled start day yet

Worst case we'll spend the 28th at the backpackers camp in the valley, and hike Yosemite Falls to Porcupine Creek trailhead on 6/29-30, and hitch back to the car.

Anybody have any thoughts on rideshares, hitchhiking, the shuttle bus, or alternative hikes from the valley to Tioga road

Thanks
ariarias

Postby S-Photog » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:57 pm

I have hitchhiked from the valley to Tuolumne 3x in the apst without any major problems just expect a few hours to find someone with an open spot in their car and willing. I am a 20-something white male though I would hope discrimination wouldn't factor into it within Yosemite that much.

In fact I'll be doing it on the 27th or 28th of June after my trip.
S-Photog

Transportation

Postby bbmq » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Hey ariarias,

You're right, there isn't going to be anything running quite yet at that time. I did check in with Yosemite and there's a 'tentative' date of June 30 for the Tuolumne Meadow Hikers Bus, but that's based on whether the current weather conditions remain favorable.

If that were to happen then you could hang out in the valley for two nights and do some day hikes, then grab the shuttle on the 30th. The hike back to Porcupine Creek would be more adventurous choice and it's not far from the Sunrise TH.

In my experience people are typically very open to picking up hitchers. I've given people a ride all the way back to the Bay Area before. You might have to hitch to Crane Flat and then to Sunrise, but that just means two rides.

Most importantly I would say, don't sweat it, it will work out. I was in the same situation in September when I hiked from Tuolumne to Mammoth Lakes and the shuttle to town wasn't running any more. Before I even stuck my thumb out a guy pulled over and asked me if I needed a ride to town. So I hopped into the back of his pickup and cooled off under a nice outdoor breeze and got dropped off a block away from my destination.

On my way to Mammoth I met a couple who were doing the whole JMT and they said they were taking a shuttle from Lone Pine to Lee Vining. But then they had no way to get from LV to Yosemite Valley. They didn't care, they were going to hitch and they weren't worried.

So go for it.
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby ariarias » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure everything will work out fine
ariarias

Transportation

Postby honsing » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:52 pm

If you get to the Climbers camp early, you may find some climbers heading up to Tuolumne to do some of the domes. Offer them $5 bucks for gas and they will usually make some room for you and a pack.
honsing
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking