Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Planing my first backpacking trip to Yosemite and need help!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Planing my first backpacking trip to Yosemite and need help!

Postby lsxtrkiller » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:15 am

Im looking for a long multiple day hike and im unfamiliar with any of the trails in Yosemite any help or suggestions would be appreciated
lsxtrkiller
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Vlado » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:47 am

When do you think you'll be going? For how many days?
This will matter for the wilderness permit you should get before being able to do a multiple day hike in Yosemite...
Vlado
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:21 am

Go to the official Yosemite website and look at the trail descriptions, trailhead quotas, and all the wilderness regulations. You will need to use proper food storage and know how to dig a hole to relieve yourself, and to pack out used TP per regulation. (Pay very close attention to the food storage page and the bear canisters they approve - YOU MUST USE one of the approved canisters. You cannot hang food. You will lose it and risk a fine.)

Pick up some maps - Tom Harrison maps are good. Get one for the area of the park you think you might want to visit, not one of those huge park inclusive ones that make it hard for you to estimate mileage and navigate. (You should have basic map/compass skills. I know people go out without them all the time, but you should have them. The Search and Rescue teams will thank you.)

Get the maps after you pick up one of the numerous guide books on Yosemite hikes and read some trip descriptions. I like Sierra North, it also helps to explore areas around the park as well as having many good hike itineraries inside the park.

If you have never backpacked before, get your gear together and take it out somewhere local to you overnight to test it out in the field and get the bugs shaken out. I recommend the articles and gear lists at backpacking.net as a starting point.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking