Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Just back from Glen Aulin

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Just back from Glen Aulin

Postby holz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:44 am

Hi all,

I just got back from a 4 day/3 night trip to Glen Aulin. Here's the skinny. ..

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! It was absolutely stunning. The snow still left on the mountains really added to the scenery in my opinion. The rivers are FULL FULL FULL and the waterfalls were spectacular. If you can make it there in the next few days, by all means do! The high water really made a difference.

The trails were all pretty much fine. There was some snow over the trail in places, but it was must a minor inconvenience.

River crossings. . . On the way out, only the creek closest to the road was running high enough to get us to "deboot". The rest were rock hoppable, but that may change as the day goes on. The earlier the more likely it will be possible to ford the creeks easily.

Skeeters. . . Well, down at GA, they were no problem at all. There were a few, but they didn't bother us much. Up at TM, they darn near mugged us when we got back to the car. Got two bites there in just a few minutes. No doubt very soon they will be a significant issue throughout the area.

I'd guess it was near 60F during the day and 32F at night. There was frost on my tent every morning, but it couldn't have been much colder.

I stayed in the backpacker's campground at GA the whole 3 nights. Normally I wouldn't even consider that, but the conditions clearly kept people away. There were a couple of other groups around (one of which thought that La Conte falls was Waterwheel! :shock: ) but there was plenty of room for everyone and other than being able to see a tent in the distance, it was like having the whole place to ourselves.

Thanks very much to all that sent me information leading up the trip and in particular Bill-E-G. If I had just listened to the rangers, we likely would have made a different (and WRONG) decision.
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby JGarrison » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 am

So Dingley and Delaney were not a problem? Heading out tomorrow, was going to leave from pothole dome, but if the crossings are ok we will just hit the main trail. Thanks!
JGarrison

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:42 pm

Very cool. Glad it went smoothly.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking