Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

7/18 permit TM/Rafferty, concerned @ conditions

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

7/18 permit TM/Rafferty, concerned @ conditions

Postby TigerFan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:32 am

I have a wilderness permit for 7/18 for TM Rafferty trailhead. I'm hiking with my 11 year-old son (I'm the "mom", btw.) Our plan is to take 5 days to hike to the Valley via Vogelsang, Bernice, Merced, LYV, Half Dome, Mist Trail. We leave for Yosemite on 7/15 which is essentially just 2 weeks away. This is my first trip to Yosemite and first backpack in the Sierras.

I've been watching/reading the trail condition reports and I'm starting to freak out a bit. Rightly or wrongly, I just hadn't considered snow, flooded trails, impossible creek crossings, etc. I understand that no one can predict what will happen in the next 2 weeks but what kind of contingencies should I be making? Do you think our chances are even good that we'll be able to stick to our itinerary?

We'll arrive with "spring" gear -- gortex boots, sleep system to 20-degrees, good tent, rainwear, fleece, down vest, merino baselayers, etc. Is there anything beyond the usual stuff that we should have? Backpacking with snowshoes is probably out of the question for us.

We're an adventurous duo and in good shape and willing to tackle unexpected conditions but I'm still "MOM" and would like to be as prepared as possible. Any advice, warnings, reassurances would be really welcome! TIA
TigerFan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:48 am

bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby TigerFan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:29 am

:( Sigh... yeah, those are the reports I've been reading. Lots of them.

So, what do you think our chances are that the high altitude trails will be "managable" in 3 weeks?
TigerFan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby andykee » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:31 pm

It all depends on what your definition of "manageable" is. Your gear list is sufficient - you definitely won't need snowshoes as the snow is dense enough at this point to walk on top of without breaking through. I think your largest challenge will be navigation.

My general approach to these things is to give it a shot and try and make it as far as you can. That being said, I don't usually bring kids with me either, so YMMV. About half of my trips end up following the planned itinerary and the other half are changed on the fly for one reason or the other, but they all end up being a blast!

If you're ready for snow and trail-less navigation, you should be fine.
andykee
Regular
Regular

Postby sierranomad » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:47 am

andykee wrote:My general approach to these things is to give it a shot and try and make it as far as you can.

That's the mantra I go by. I used to get freaked out and stay home when things sounded like more than I wanted to tackle. Then I started going and just see how far I could get. I usually find that things aren't as bad as reported. Be prepared for the possibility of having to turn around. If you do, find pleasure in what you were able to see and the experiences had.

I couldn't tell you how many wonderful trips I've had (and completed) that started as "I'll see how far I can make it".
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby TigerFan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:11 am

sierranomad wrote:
andykee wrote:My general approach to these things is to give it a shot and try and make it as far as you can.

That's the mantra I go by. I used to get freaked out and stay home when things sounded like more than I wanted to tackle. Then I started going and just see how far I could get. I usually find that things aren't as bad as reported. Be prepared for the possibility of having to turn around. If you do, find pleasure in what you were able to see and the experiences had.

I couldn't tell you how many wonderful trips I've had (and completed) that started as "I'll see how far I can make it".

Well, "staying home" isn't something I'm considering at all. And I don't have an issue with the "give it a shot" approach. On the other hand, this is a major trip for my family; one that's been planned for a long time. My son and I have very limited opportunity to do these multi-day hikes halfway across the country and I'd like to give us the best odds I can to make it happen successfully and comfortably.

We've always hiked on trails, so our navigation skills are largely untested. I just ordered some better topo maps (my arms are no longer long enough for me to able to distinguish the small details on the Trails Illustrated map... :? ) and we'll brush up on the compass this weekend while hiking. At least we won't be frazzled if we're faced with a field of snow and no trails...
TigerFan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby sierranomad » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:37 am

TigerFan wrote: On the other hand, this is a major trip for my family. My son and I have very limited opportunity to do these multi-day hikes halfway across the country

Hmm. Yeah, that's something I didn't know/hadn't considered. I live right here so it's no big deal if a trip can't be completed today.

Have you thought about trying another trail if your intended route is still snow-bound before your hike? TM to White Wolf is a great hike. I know that it is clear of snow at least to Waterwheel Falls and I wouldn't be surprised if it's clear the rest of the way.

BTW, the route you have planned is one of my favorites.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking