Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Weather for 11th July

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Weather for 11th July

Postby ricardosanx » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi,

I'm coming from Australia next week and planning to walk JMT north to south starting on 11th July.

I hadn't planned for any snow - in fact was planning for hot weather based on reading materials!

Haven't done any hiking in snow, so its a little daunting.

Any idea - will it still be snow-covered by 11th?
Will I need a full hard-shell? (Was planning on light rain jacket only)
My daytime insulation was going to be just Icebreaker 260 + Polartec 100 + Windshirt (with a Down jacket for evening)? Is that warm enough?

Richard
ricardosanx
Regular
Regular

Postby andykee » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Any idea - will it still be snow-covered by 11th?
I'd plan on seeing snow covered trails - especially through some of the higher passes.

Will I need a full hard-shell? (Was planning on light rain jacket only)
A rain jacket + various base/insulation layers should cover the range of conditions you're likely to encounter.

My daytime insulation was going to be just Icebreaker 260 + Polartec 100 + Windshirt (with a Down jacket for evening)? Is that warm enough?
Seems fine to me. According to the NWS, at 10,000' the temps are hitting the high 50's during the day and dropping down to the mid 30's at night (sorry for the American units on all of that!). For reference, I'm hiking a section of the JMT next week and will have a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece jacket, and rain jacket - no down jacket. If I get too cold, I'll just hop in my sleeping bag!
andykee
Regular
Regular

Thanks

Postby ricardosanx » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks. Temps are very similar to our mid-Winter (right now) in the Blue Mountains 0C-10C.

I'm having the MB Down Inner delivered to my address in SF - so eager to try :)
ricardosanx
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking