Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Getting a JMT pass and Camp 4 (July 11)

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Getting a JMT pass and Camp 4 (July 11)

Postby ricardosanx » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:18 pm

I’m coming from Australia to walk JMT next week. YARTS bus doesn’t arrive at Yosemite until 1pm (7am from SF) on Sunday 11th.

I need accommodation for 1 night (no pass so can't stay in official backpacker camp). Seems there are only 2 choices for accommodation for hiking campers: Curry and Camp 4.

1. What are the chances of getting a spot in Camp 4 at 1pm?
2. I’ll be queuing for a JMT pass on Monday morning. Any opinions on what time I should queue? 5am?
3. Are there any alternatives to Curry and Camp 4 – in walking distance to where I queue for pass.
4. If I get a pass on Monday – can I start on the Monday; it seems the pass is issued for the next day, but not clear?

Thanks in anticipation

Richard
ricardosanx
Regular
Regular

Re: Getting a JMT pass and Camp 4 (July 11)

Postby dan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 pm

I need accommodation for 1 night (no pass so can't stay in official backpacker camp).
When I was at the Backpacker Campground, I never saw a ranger or had anyone check for a permit. However, I heard from others who had been checked.

1. What are the chances of getting a spot in Camp 4 at 1pm?
Small. It's good that you're arriving Sunday, when many people leave, but it's best to be there in the morning. There's not a lot of sites:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/camp_4_w ... nd_map.png
You may be able to "hook up" with someone who already has a site, there's a limit of 6 people per site. Curry Village may have an opening from a last-minute cancellation. Check with them too at check-in time (I think it's 4pm).

2. I’ll be queuing for a JMT pass on Monday morning. Any opinions on what time I should queue? 5am?
It's open 7:30-6 in summer, so 5am is a good time.

3. Are there any alternatives to Curry and Camp 4 – in walking distance to where I queue for pass.
Not really. The drive-in campgrounds are very popular in summer.

4. If I get a pass on Monday – can I start on the Monday; it seems the pass is issued for the next day, but not clear?
If there are any permits left for the same day, yes. But they may have (probably have) all been taken the previous day (Sunday). In other words, you get in line early Monday for Tuesday morning permits. If you are flexible as to where you are going, you may be able to get a permit for the same day.

Here's a suggestion: check-in Sunday at the Yosemite Valley Wilderness Center (in Yosemite Village) and see if they have any permits left for Monday, and to just talk with them. They are less busy in the afternoon than morning when they are busy writing out permits.

Good luck!
Last edited by dan on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:47 pm

Dan, have they changed it so you can get Half Dome Day Hike permits at wilderness centers now? I had heard they only gave those out online and in advance. That might change things for some of my hiking group...

Ricardo, they start issuing walk in permits for backpackers the day before your desired start date, the minute the office opens. If there are any left (from Happy Isles that is not likely) you can pick them up any time during the day before, or on the morning of. They also release any reserved but unclaimed permits at 10 am on the day of - so if people paid a fee five months ago but did not come in to get the permit, that will be released to anyone who is there at 10 am the day they want to start. So you can try to get a walk in permit, or you can try again at 10 am the day you want to go for a released/canceled permit somebody did not pick up.

You might also think about an alternate trailhead. Some folks start from Glacier Point, heading out Panorama trail to Little Yosemite. Another trailhead might be Mono Meadow, near Glacier Point. These add a little mileage but might get you on the trail on schedule. Some JMT folks just start from Tuolumne Meadows and come back to do the HI to TM section later, or as a dayhike. The hiker bus tickets are sold at Yosemite Lodge and one leaves from Curry in the mornings to drop folks off at trailheads along Tioga Road. There are several possible trailheads that will connect to the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows as well. This is probably complicated and confusing me trying to explain it, but while you are trying to get permits, if you are at all flexible and if you can't get happy isles and have to start on schedule, ask the ranger about availability on nearby trailheads - one person has a good chance of getting something and the ranger can help sort it out and show you where on their maps or yours. The info on the buses to Glacier and Tioga is on yosemitepark.com if you want to see schedules and costs - click on Plan your visit then on public transportation, the hiker buses are on the bottom. Unfortunately the Glacier bus is expensive, but the TM bus is affordable and has a couple of valley stops - the lodge is near camp 4.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ricardosanx » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:34 am

Thanks a lot for very informative responses!

Dan - I'll take your suggestion - and head to Wilderness Office as soon as I arrive.

AlmostThere - I'm OK with Tuesday start - give me a chance to acclimatise a bit. But any longer I'd take your suggestions and start another trail head.

One more question: If I get a pass for Tuesday - can I do Half-Dome on the Monday? I guess that would mean getting a Half-Dome pass for the Monday.
ricardosanx
Regular
Regular

Postby Vlado » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:03 am

Ricardo,
Unfortunately, you won't be able to go to Half Dome on Monday - July 5th is a federal holiday (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm) and you'll need a permit for Half Dome, which you cannot get at the park (these were available only in advance). If you get a wilderness permit for Monday, you can request a Half Dome pass to go with it and do Half Dome on Monday.
Vlado
Regular
Regular

Postby ricardosanx » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:12 am

Vlado,

I meant Monday the 11th July.

Is it possible on the Monday morning to get:
1. JMT-pass for Tues
2. Half-Dome pass for Monday

So on the Monday go up Half Dome then come back to Valley, stay at the backpackers camp and head out JMT on Tuesday am
ricardosanx
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:30 am

You only need the Half Dome permit on Friday, Saturday Sunday or a Holiday.

July 11 is none of those. :) No permit necessary.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ricardosanx » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:41 am

:D
ricardosanx
Regular
Regular

Postby dan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:22 am

AlmostThere wrote:Dan, have they changed it so you can get Half Dome Day Hike permits at wilderness centers now? I had heard they only gave those out online and in advance. That might change things for some of my hiking group...

You are correct. I misspoke. Only Half Dome permits issued with overnight Wilderness permits are available.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby barrabus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:11 pm

@ricardosanx - how did things work our for you?

I am arriving in San Fran on Sunday August 1st and plan on going to Yosemite on Monday morning.
I have a similar plan to the one you had, namely get a walk up permit for the JMT and stay at camp 4 until I get on the trail. I am flexible re trail heads .

Did you manage to get a site in Camp 4?
How did getting the permit work out?

Curry Camp is completely booked out and I am using public transport so I'm concerned about what I am going to do should no spaces in camp 4 be available.

Advice from all appreciated!!! :roll:
barrabus
First-timer
First-timer

Just got back

Postby ricardosanx » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Curry had spaces
Camp 4 had spaces (but only singles)
and to top it off I got a JMT Pass to leave that day, so didn't end up staying at Camp 4. Did the hard yards to Little Yosemite starting at 7pm arriving around 11pm! And man are they hard yards.

Richard

PS: Always check at Wilderness Office first
ricardosanx
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking