Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

October in Yosemite.

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

October in Yosemite.

Postby Risk taker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone has ever backpacked in Yosemite in late September, or early October. A few of my friends and I are looking to do a 4-5 day backpacking trip in that time frame and we have never been to Yosemite. I have read that the lows get around 45, sometimes a little colder. No big deal if you ask me. Any one have any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. Also I would love to hear some good hiking routes. I'm thinking 30-35 miles.
Risk taker

Postby adrianhoff » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:07 pm

In Yosemite, I’ve seen early morning frost in July. I’ll be there in early September (as I was last year). With Red Peak Pass (11,000 feet) and plenty of 10,000-foot elevations on my route, I’ll prepare for sub-freezing temps. I don’t expect to wear fleece inside my 20-degree bag, but that time of year it’s possible.

Little Yosemite Valley to Sunrise HSC to Merced Lake HSC to Little Yosemite Valley is a good 35-mile loop that time of year. With the High Sierra Camps closed, it's not packed like in the summer. A Little Yosemite Valley pass through permit (first night about 3 miles further up the trail, on Sunrise Creek, near the JMT and Clouds Rest trail intersection) avoids the most crowded spot. Camp at one of the Sunrise Lakes, instead of the backpackers area at the HSC.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Risk taker » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:10 am

Thanks for the tip. So subzero at night is pretty much what I should be expecting in October then. What are re highs normally?
Risk taker

Postby Wickett » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:34 am

I don't think it gets subzero in October unless a front moves in. I generally bring my 0 degree bag and sleep in my hammock. I rarely have to climb all the way into my bag in October.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:43 am

There can be freezing temps all year long at higher elevations - it varies. But the later in the year, the more likely it is to blow up some weather. Around late October-November I start to expect real snow instead of the intermittent and transient sort you can find in August-september. Go out prepared for cold and wet in fall.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Risk taker » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks for all the help. So you actually stayed in your hammock in October, Thats sounds like an awesome time. Any 4-5 day hikes you could share for a new guy to Yosemite. I'm pumped about this trip!
Risk taker

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:38 pm

I stay in a hammock year round. My lowest temps were in the 20-25F range last November, at 9000 feet. There is a difference IMO between temps dropping into the 30s and briefly into the 20s, and sustained all-night lows of 20-25F. The latter will result in ice on the lake, in the trail and along streams... was a beautiful, crisp, very cold morning. My 3 season gear was just... barely... enough but kept me warm.

I have a 0 degree hammock underquilt now, so am looking forward to next November. :)
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Risk taker » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:42 am

I've never stayed in a hammock before, I'm always in a tent. I think I'll bs changing that this trip!! You have any websites or your own knowledge of gps earphones for any of these hikes? I could figure out my own but would be nice to already have then plotted. Does yosemite allow backcountry permits past October or by then is it just first come first serve?
Risk taker

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:40 pm

It rarely gets sub zero even in winter.

When the sun sets it will get cold... and then it will continue to
drop until the sun rises again. So it's the coldest just before
the sun rises. Only way that doesn't happen is if all the
sudden a warm front moves in.
So look at your thermometer just before sunrise... that's how
cold it got.

Just got back from 4 nights about 10K. All 4 nights it dropped
below freezing. And it's summer.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:05 pm

I dunno, Bill... talking to some of those folks who work there, I've heard tales...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Sure. Ok. You got me.

What I mean is that winter in the Sierra is completely different than,
say, winter in Wisconsin (where I "grew" up).
Above freezing is common. Unheard of in Wisconsin.

Every time I've winter camped I've hiked in the same clothes that
I hike in in the fall and spring.
And I've used 15 degree bag.

(although I'm contemplating blowing major cash and getting a -10
Western Mountaineering bag)

Anyway, October is beautiful.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:26 pm

I have a 0 degree marmot bag that I use in the very early season and after September, otherwise I have a 20 degree marmot bag that I have been more than happy with.

The coldest I've ever been has been when I was up at Lake Wegner in the 2nd week of October. The 2nd day we were out the high was 25 at noon. We had wanted to try to go up Mt. Hoffman, but the weather wasn't cooperating. It got down to the single digits at night, which was quite cold. However, I did have 2 winters in Michigan, and that taught me what real cold was like. Believe me I was happy to get back home to California.

Anyways, as long as you have the right gear and use common sense you'll be okay.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:18 am

you can't plan an october trip in july. well, you can, but you have to get lucky. at least you won't have to wait in line for a permit

last time i went over red peak pass in october 2004 i kept looking over my shoulder at the weather, which to those with me seemed a paranoid tic. a few snow squalls and some sun, a great trip as it turns out. three days later they were pulling people out by helicopter after a one day four foot snow dump.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 9EERC1.DTL

your best bet is to jump in at the tail end of a system as the snow melts, and keep an eye over your shoulder.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking