Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tuolumne Mosquitoes

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tuolumne Mosquitoes

Postby cincyhiker » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:21 am

I'll be headed from Tuolumne (including one night at the camp) to the valley via JMT next week. How's the mosquito situation?
cincyhiker
First-timer
First-timer

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:05 pm

Our experience this last weekend at 9,000 in the West Walker River area was that they were not bad above 9,000. Below that, they were FIERCE.

My guess is that you should take along headnets, DEET, and rosaries.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby LVRAY » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:58 pm

On Saturday July 3, we did not experience very many in the actual meadow area or near the grill where we had lunch, but there were plenty near Tenaya Lake where we had parked our car. There were very few to none on our backcountry trip which included the JMT from Half Dome back up to Tuolumne Meadows. However, they are probably just about ready to explode as the weather warms and there is water everywhere, so go prepared.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby rchris » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:43 am

Just back from several nights at TM campground. Mosquitoes out all day from sunrise to 8pm, but I didn't find them terrible. Squirt on some DEET every time they start landing (every 5 hours maybe?), and they weren't a problem. I can deal with a couple bites per day as long as the mosquitoes don't stop me from cooking and eating.
rchris

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking