Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Clouds rest from Tenaya

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Clouds rest from Tenaya

Postby jlillywhite » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:39 am

Hi, folks.

I want to do a Tenaya Lake to Cloud's rest hike.

I have a couple questions:

1) I've done HD in a day a few times. Should I have a problem doing Tenaya-CR round-trip in a day? (Distance and elevation increase are less that HD?)

2) I have nobody to hike with. :( (Wife and kids aren't into it. That's all.) As I'm not so much an avid hiker that I want to do this alone, I'd like to find a group to hike with that intends on doing the single-day round-trip. I'm not worried about dates too much, though weekends would be best. How best might I find people to hike with?

3) Is hiking alone frowned upon as a bad decision?
jlillywhite
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Wickett » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:32 am

I do most of my hiking alone, it does have more risks but I am comfortable with them.

I want to do that route this summer, I am staying for two separate weeks in September and will probably do it in conjunction with a Tenaya Canyon run.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:06 am

1) the elevation gain/loss may not be as dramatic as HD but you are starting higher and ending higher than HD (by 1000 feet). I have no problems whatsoever 99% of the time with any elevation, but we all react differently to it - so there is no way to answer your question.

2) My group is dayhiking this on 7/10. We are a very large group. Groups do this hike all the time, as do couples and singles - I doubt very much you will be alone on the trail there.

3) It's not suggested generally, but I have hiked alone. There are ways to mitigate the increased risk of being by yourself. The largest problem I can see to hiking solo is what would happen if you are hurt or impaired - a companion would probably pick up on the symptoms of dehydration or hypothermia quicker than you would, for example, and prompt you to do something about it sooner. If you hurt yourself in a way that keeps you from walking a second person could go for help. But again, this is Yosemite, and while 99.9% of the people in the park will never get a mile out from any trailhead, there will be other people on the trail.

The top two killers of people in the park are falls and drowning. Don't take chances on rocks/cliffs and don't cross very fast and strong streams, and you've already diminished radically the chances of coming to harm. There are no dangerous creek crossings on the Sunrise/Clouds Rest trail.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby cjoz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:29 am

Can be done. Probably easier than half dome in terms of burning your legs out, but the ending elevation is about 1000ft higher. No cables/permits to deal with.

Try meetup.com. I've hiked and backpacked w/ a few different groups there. Also look at your local Sierra Club web pages for outings.

I've hiked alone but obviously more fun w/ group w/ simililar abilities. The trails are very well travelled, so biggest danger is getting injured/sick where nobody sees you (e.g. you wander off the trail or fall behind a rock).
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby suman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:56 pm

I did this last year in august. Much easier than doing Half Dome from the valley floor in a day. Start early so you can spend more time on clouds rest. I was there a few days ago(different route) and the view is to die for!
Suman
suman
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking