Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Rafferty v. Lyell Canyon/Fletcher Creek v. Bernice Lake

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Rafferty v. Lyell Canyon/Fletcher Creek v. Bernice Lake

Postby yosemiteken » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:29 pm

I am very familiar with the Tuoumne Meadows to Vogelsang and Merced Lake route. However, I have traditionally hiked the Rafferty Creek trail (rather than through Lyell Canyon) and then hiked the Fletcher Creek trail (rather than going the Bernice Lake route. Can anyone help me understand the major differences in these routes? Any preferred campsites along the way? Thanks.
yosemiteken

Re: Rafferty v. Lyell Canyon/Fletcher Creek v. Bernice Lake

Postby dan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:34 pm

The Lewis Creek /Bernice Lake route is longer and less crowded than Fletcher Creek. Lewis Creek also has more waterfalls. Other than that, they are similar--scenic routes along a creek, with LOTS of downhill.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby johnstream » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Bernice lake is stunning.

Switch routes just to see something new.
johnstream
Regular
Regular

Re: Rafferty v. Lyell Canyon/Fletcher Creek v. Bernice Lake

Postby sierranomad » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:14 pm

yosemiteken wrote: I have traditionally hiked the Rafferty Creek trail (rather than through Lyell Canyon)

Lyell Canyon is a bit longer, but one of my favorite stretches of trail in the park. The canyon, the river.... it just doesn't get much better. The climb out of the canyon is a lungbuster (I'm not looking at a topo, but pretty sure that on the Rafferty Creek trail your ascent is more gradual), but worth having been in the canyon.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:25 pm

The view from Vogelsang Pass is spectacular.

Along Fletcher you have more dome views and exfoliation going on near Emerick and Babcock.

Lewis is more of a canyon with some nice meadows and high peaks.

The wife loves Bernice Lake.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby centurycyclist » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:29 pm

The hike through Lyell Cyn is SO worth the extra miles---ESP going towards Vogelsang---having done both, unless I was really squeezed for time, would definitely go Lyell. From Vogelsang to Merced---yes, the view from the pass is not to be missed, even if you just hike up there for lunch and pics, then go back down....definitely easier from the Vogelsang HSC up than from the other direction, but still, glad we did it. Also, the extra mile or so is not an issue---but the solitude (read, much less traveled) via Lewis is worth it. Fletcher Creek to Merced is really pretty too, but gets a little busy on the trail about half-way there.
centurycyclist
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby yosemiteken » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.
yosemiteken

Postby centurycyclist » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:33 pm

It really comes down to solitude, when you are deciding between Fletcher vs Lewis on the way to Merced, but Lyell vs Rafferty--- unless you are really challenged physically, you would chose Lyell going to Vogelsang. While the Rafferty Creek trail is OK Lyell is remarkable and stunning. Do it.
centurycyclist
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking